London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
01/02/2014 at 08:50

You're a Yorkshire "Lass", Brumbull, that's a new one!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36833.jpg?width=225&height=225&mode=max

01/02/2014 at 12:56

I like a bit of humble pie with my yorkshire.

01/02/2014 at 13:11

My sister ( Chef )came for xmas and told  me how Yorkshires are done and she was so right it works every single time easy ,1, break the required amount of eggs into  a pint measure. 2  copy that EXACT amount with milk then the same with plain flour  (roughly 1 medium egg per person) you all know the rest, ITS THAT SIMPLE, NOT the weight, the measure up the glass of the ingredients,

01/02/2014 at 13:47

I love cooking, but have never made Yorkshire Pudding. I heard a wonderful story about it years ago from a Scottish friend; her father came back from the 2nd World War to Edinburgh raving about this wonderful stuff that the English ate called Yorkshire Pudding. He found a recipe for his wife to use. She dutifully cooked it every Sunday. It wasn't till my friend came South to London as a twenty something in the sixties that she realised that Yorkshire Pudding should be light and fluffy, not a large heavy pancake! She also realised how much her father must have loved her mother not to say anything critical about it

01/02/2014 at 14:23

You're right Alan. That's the method I use and have done so ever since seeing Yorkshire chef Brian Turner doing it on telly. By volume. Works brilliantly every time. I do individual ones in  a muffin tray, so very quick.

art- lovely story. My Dad was English and  my Mum Scottish. She made them frequently for him as he loved them 

01/02/2014 at 15:31

Even us southerners love a Yorkshire pud, and its got to be freshly made, none of your packet rubbish!!

01/02/2014 at 15:49

i know you will hate me for this but once you have the mix right u can start doing your own tastes, i even do a mild curry tasting one for a change,mi dad loved it wijam

01/02/2014 at 16:31

Yorkshire lass here too, but am ashamed to say, I buy auntie Bessie's as mine never rose so I gave up.

Although I have since perfected toad in the hole, so I should probably have another go.  I think you've inspired me. I shall look up Brian turner's recipe and have a go. 

01/02/2014 at 17:59

Do make my own, also Brian Turners way but always have some aunt bessies in the freezer, on the occasions for quickness during the week. We eat them with all types of meat not just beef.

01/02/2014 at 18:16

..the trouble people go to these days.... I buy them.. fresh or frozen...and I've no intention of making them..ever..again...

01/02/2014 at 18:19

I don't know why I bother to make them, they're never any good. But I like them served with a red cabbage, apple, onion etc mix. all stewed up together

01/02/2014 at 21:16

oooh Yorkshire Puds yummy As a young child with three hungry big brothers Mum used to make an extra tray of mini yorkies so we could have them with syrup all over...don't knock it til you've tried it...delicious.....may just have to make an extra Yorkshire tomorrow now

02/02/2014 at 08:23

...deffo....Schwartz packet mix... add 1/2 pint cold water, bring to boil....easy peezy and quite delish...

02/02/2014 at 11:59

Brum roast spuds next  my favourite whats best spud and best way

02/02/2014 at 13:43

Try it cooked in butter with apple chunks and raisins in it! Wonderful dredged with sugar and munched hot or cold.

02/02/2014 at 13:49

Oooh hello Shoz2 - that sounds good - my Ma used to do a large Yorkshire with rhubarb and brown sugar in it - wonderful   Must be a culinary cousin of the French Clafoutis 

02/02/2014 at 16:39

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36915.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

My other half's effort.  I prefer I tidier plate but still grateful that he tried!!

02/02/2014 at 17:06

eh up lass ,does thee have your Yorkshire pud before after yer dinner? down in thee west we eats it on its own as pancake.

KEF
02/02/2014 at 17:16

Potatoes par boiled for 12 mins& now just gone in oven with parsnips. Veg all prepared, leeks, carrots, savoy cabbage & cauli, gravy made with some mustard powder added and a splash of red vino. Sirloin ready in 15/20 mins, resting time and then puddings in. Can't wait. Table laid and horseradish at the ready

02/02/2014 at 17:25

We had a superb joint of rare roast sirloin and Yorkshire puds a couple of weekends ago, so today we're having a lovely lean shoulder of free-range local pork in the oven and the crackling's crisping up nicely.  

Lovely chunks of roasted Crown Prince squash are all caramelised around the edges and waiting,  Desirée potatoes  are par boiled and ready to go in when the pork comes out to rest, and of course we'll be having apple sauce and a gravy flavoured with sage from the garden, steamed purple sprouting broccoli and of course Yorkshire puds - we'll be eating in about an hour.

There's some Adnams Best Bitter to go with it 

1 to 20 of 32 messages