London (change)
Today 13°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 8°C
21 to 40 of 56 messages
27/06/2013 at 11:46

I love Khan, we had a German Shepherd many years ago called Tara, she totally respected the garden.  She would play on the lawn with her ball and if went into the flowerbeds she would sit beside them and wait for someone to retrieve it for her.  I now have a young westie called Angus, he is not quite so good with the flowerbeds just yet, bit too young yet but we are getting there.  Pets are part of the garden it is their garden too -they just need to be trained to know their boundaries and gardeners and pets can live happily together. 

I also have two cats aged 15 and 16, they are in charge as far as the dog is concerned. 

27/06/2013 at 12:05

Meet Louis and Molly, my 2 rescued Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They are very respectful in the garden, and believe its their job to keep away any

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26336.jpg?width=496&height=350&mode=max

tresspassing cats and squirrels! Love them to bits

27/06/2013 at 12:31

...how terribly sweet... aren't they gorgeous..?... as are all the others earlier...

27/06/2013 at 12:55

We've got two border terriers, i do love them, but they are a nightmare in the garden. They are far to clever for their own good, they know how to dig carrots up.. they know that berries  on rasperries and blackberries taste nice, and how to get them. They love peas.. 

No matter how i try i can't keep them out the borders, this is main because we have post and rail fencing with chicken wire to keep them in, and because they can see out they run up and down the borders.. Oh and jack pee's on everything.

Typical day down the veg plot!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26338.jpg?width=720&height=350&mode=max

27/06/2013 at 13:29

Thanks Salino, they are the light of my life and absolutely adorable!

27/06/2013 at 13:49

We have a rescue terrier cross, now aged 6, who's favourite garden activity - when not tearing around with the other dog - is digging up rats in their dens.  Fine, except they're in the borders.....  She also hears moley tunnelling and then tries to dig them out of our lawn.

We also have Bonzo Dog, a rescue Labrador who hadn't a clue when we got him a year ago aged between 2 and 3 as he'd never been outside.   He charges through the undergrowth to help Rasta with her ratting and, being a Lab, he also charges through our pond.  He hasn't a clue how to dig but tries to copy Rasta and it's hilarious to watch as he tries to use both front paws at once.   He likes to keep me company whatever I'm doing so when I'm gardening he sprawls on the beds but does move happily to the path or lawn when asked.   He's had to learn about people, cows, horses, goats, pigs, sheep, cars and other dogs as he now meets some or all on daily walkies.  He loves chasing pheasants and hares.  So does Rasta.

We are about to make them a path through the shrub border so they can gallop through the underplanting without wrecking it.

We also have a rescue cat we found abandoned in the field next door.  We've had her 21 months now and she's an indoor cat who has only recently discovered it's safe to go outside for an hour or so a day and that she is allowed back in.   She doesn't approve of snow or rain.   She likes to watch the birds at the feeders but can't get at them.

27/06/2013 at 14:15

It's lovely reading your stories about your pets, especially the rescue ones. My brother had a rescue dog once who had never been outside. He used to fall down holes or dips in the ground as he'd only ever been on a flat surface. He was fascinated by beams of light and used to chase them. Maybe that was his only stimulation when he was locked inside.

I love Paul O'Grady's programme about Battersea Dog's Home. Some uplifting stories.

27/06/2013 at 14:43

Obelixx, my 2 may look like little angels, but do a fair share of ratting, rabbitting, and pheasant chasing. The little one is the worse but the funny thing is, if she ever catches anything, its usually the same size as she is! The bigger ones vision is so bad, hed run straight past a rabbit!!

27/06/2013 at 15:54

Oh Potty Pam, thats so sad. Glad hes got a good home now!

27/06/2013 at 16:49

Well, wasn't I crafty?  Just mention pets and we learn so much more about you all...lol

27/06/2013 at 18:04

27/06/2013 at 18:36

Salino I know the dog very well trained dogs for one of the syndicate that owned the dog and John Daly trained it for them if i remember right. I know the brothers that own the Droopy's kennels in Ireland really well have had bitches breed by there stud dogs great guys to deal with. Our family had great times over the years doing the dogs sadly dad passed away in Sept 2011 then i took seriously ill so gave up the dogs but miss working with them. Now it's garden all the time  which suits me with my illness and loving it putting 100 percent into it as i do with everything in life i've done over the years.  

27/06/2013 at 18:38

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26352.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

This is the Dottster  We rescued her about 10 weeks ago after she was found roaming the streets covered in poo. Shes a 2-3 year old staffie who has a heart of gold and full of love. She is the reason that the lawn is polka dot and the reason my Ragged Robins appear to be flatter than they were last week! This is her best pal....Stick

27/06/2013 at 18:49

We have a 9 month old English springer spaniel called Mistletoe aka Misty or moo moo, she`s the reason for the green netting around the flower beds. Her tail has not been docked and she`s not being gun trained

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26354.jpg?width=246&height=350&mode=max

27/06/2013 at 18:51

We have two, Blue who is 13 and a very handsome labrador/pointer cross, and Daisy who is perpetually trying to live down her pedigree by being as dirty and naughty as caninely possible ...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26353.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

And this was a perfectly serviceable clean duvet hanging on the line when I left for work that morning ....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26355.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

27/06/2013 at 18:52

Shes lovely Fred. A wee cracker 

27/06/2013 at 20:15

We have Mossy, an English Springer Spaniel . She was 5 when we collected her from NESSR. she had recently had pups and was handed in for rehoming the day after the last pup was sold. She is a very loveable and well behaved dog. Even the wild birds in the garden are not frightened of her. she just looks up when she senses movement beside her and they happily hop around her. Unfortunately her friend Corrie who visits sometimes is not so tolerant so we have to clapp our hands loudly to scare off the birds before we let her out into the garden. Mossy is now almost 11 and has just had her summer clip.Once I work out how I'll post a picture

27/06/2013 at 20:19

Hi Anne - As I have very recently found out, you click on the picture of a tree on the toolbar that comes up when you start writing a reply.  That directs you to search for the right picture and then it uploads.  It seems to take my pc quite a while, so I kept thinking I was doing it wrong.  It's much easier than it sounds!  I love Springers but I've never met one which wasn't made out of rubber and springs like tigger!

27/06/2013 at 21:04

Aaaah what gorgeous cats and dogs!

Making me miss my old cat though...would love to get a kitten when my daughter's a little older, even though I spend half my time chasing cats away from the beds as it stands.

Am hoping MY cat will be well trained and respectful in my garden, but cats are buggers for not listening to their owners

27/06/2013 at 21:04

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26374.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Bonzo Dog (left) and Rasta, a week after we adopted Bonzo.   Had to teach them not to play ticky through the hostas in that bed.

21 to 40 of 56 messages