London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
7 messages
05/11/2013 at 21:24

Have been looking on several online gardening  brochures.  They often 'talk' about zones for planting different plants, i.e. where and where not to plant.  Still cannot find where these zones cover.  Any help would be gratefully received.

05/11/2013 at 21:34

have a look at this.

http://www.gardensillustrated.com/article/plants/plant-hardiness-ratings

The RHS system is better for this country.  American zones are somewhat different because of areas that can be very dry and cold, whereas in Britain in winter we are usually wet and cold.

Also you have to remember that even in  one garden there will be microclimates, frost pockets at the bottom of slopes, warmer bits against a south facing wall, etc.

In Doncaster, Plants will need to be fully hardy to at least - 10 C to survive the winter outside.

05/11/2013 at 21:38

Hi Treesrgreen, if you mean the US plant hardiness zone system, the website below has made the UK equivalent using the same system.  In the text on the right you can see places to click which will swap the colours to match the USDA system, too:

http://www.trebrown.com/hrdzone.html

06/11/2013 at 15:53

Totally agree with the above. Those hardy ratings only look at minimum temperatures and as we have mild winters but very wet ones, hardy ratings are useless.

Our winters are wet, mild and long. American ones are shorter, colder and drier.

The trebrown map above puts me in 9a which is the same as California and Florida... alas our weather is not at all like that.

06/11/2013 at 19:18

The USDA ratings are simply the lowest temperatures a plant is expected to survive and in that respect the map above is perfect.  It's nothing to do with the 'weather' as such.  However, the text to the right of the Trebrown map says exactly what fidgetbones said and is something with which I fully agree.  Microclimate and rainfall are what will determine whether a plant will flourish and the USDA ratings say nothing about that.  I don't even bother to look at USDA ratings, ever.

07/11/2013 at 13:16

I have gardened for 40 years without the benefit of American ratings. My advice is to totally ignore them... they have no part to play here. The conditions are so different as to be useless to UK gardeners. Do you think that US gardeners rely on RHS ratings? Horses for courses.

07/11/2013 at 16:13
Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

Do you think that US gardeners rely on RHS ratings? Horses for courses.

Well said!

email image
7 messages