London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
7 messages
15/08/2013 at 13:45
Hi all, i have a new 2.5 feet tall fig tree in a big pot,and it has figs starting to grow on it ,Now should i take them off for this first year to help the plant grow stronger or leave them.
15/08/2013 at 13:55

when you say starting to grow do you mean they look like a fruit or are they quite tiny?  I would suggest removing anything bigger than pea size.  This will leave the smaller embryonic fruit to ripen during next summer.  Figs usually have two crops coming at once when they are established.  The current crop which you will pick when ripe and the next crop to come.  Our weather doesnt allow them to ripen f(the second crop) fully outside in the way that they do in their native environment so you will always end up with fruit that wont fully ripen later in the season (hence removing it).

15/08/2013 at 16:38

Alan, did I not answer this question for you recently?

MRweeds has just said the same thing that I said.

15/08/2013 at 16:55
Hi Welshonion,no the help you me gave was for side shoots growing just like they do on tomatoes and pinching out or not , these are proper figs growing ,but i was wondering if the young plant might do better if i pinch them off to help the plant in its first year get stronger, then allow normal growth next year, the figs are about the size of a golf ball, so it seems best come off then. many thanks Alan
15/08/2013 at 18:23

Wait!!  Golf ball size.  We are in August, these may ripen.  Give them time.

15/08/2013 at 18:32

I apologise, Alan.  I often give the same advice about removing small figs late in the Autumn I get in a muddle about how many people I have said it to!!

15/08/2013 at 19:17
right o Welshonion and many thanks everone
email image
7 messages