London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
10 messages
17/02/2013 at 18:25

Having cleared the space to put my raised beds in back in October, there was an unfortunate casualty in the shape of a honeysuckle that I couldn't be bothered to untangle from the plastic mesh trellis so it just got pulled out of the ground, rolled up in the mesh and stuffed behind the greenhouse until I could be bothered to tidy it all up properly (lazy I know!)

Imagine my surprise when, earlier this evening, I went to get something from behind the greenhouse and found that it is covered in new leaves. Bearing in mind that its roots are pretty much exposed and a foot above the ground, I feel it has performed above and beyond the call of duty and no I feel obliged to find it a new home somewhere in the garden!

17/02/2013 at 18:31

Steve, had a similar experience today with an Artemisia vulgaris 'Oriental Limelight'.  Back in the autumn I completely dug this thug of a plant out of a small bed so I could put winter pansies in its place.  I shoved all the roots in a carrier bag to put in the bin which then forgot to do.  Was clearing out potting shed today when I opened a bag to see what was inside and there were all the artemesia roots merrily growing away!!!!!  However, I feel no obligation to keep it

17/02/2013 at 18:36

Mine is a bit prettier!

17/02/2013 at 18:37

Sometimes plants surprise you, Steve,  I remember years ago , someone gave me some mimulus that they had split and I put it in a carrier bag. Forgot all about it and found the carrier bag the following year with the mimulus growing happily inside it.

Unfortunately, I had to dig it out years later as it went ballistic when I planted it.

17/02/2013 at 18:41

I'm glad this is just a honeysuckle and I won't be paid back by a triffid if I replant it!

17/02/2013 at 19:01
CazW, have no sentiment whatsoever for artemisia limelight. Get rid ASAP. It's prob worst thug in the garden on a par with houttynia chameleon.
17/02/2013 at 19:22

Last summer we had some builders do some work in the garden (we'd just moved here), including shoring up a bank with sleepers (it's ok, they were new ones without the creosote ).  Anyway I'd dug out the celandine Brazen Hussey that I'd discovered growing in the bank and put it in a pot for safe keeping in a secluded corner.  

Now, some of you may remember that last August, whilst some of you were watching the Olympics, I was called upon to wear a large fuchsia-pink hat and be the Mother of the Bride.  At the same time we were blessed with about three weeks of wall to wall sunshine (do you remember that?) and while my attention was diverted by my MOTB duties (and a certain amount of recovery time), the poor celandines becamed shrivelled and parched.    When I eventually remembered them they looked unsalvageable and I tipped them out of the pot onto the pile of roots behind the hedgehog house and forgot about them .... until this morning ....  and there they are, smiling up at me  

When the hedgehog has ended his hibernation I'll return them to their rightful spot where the sunlight filters through the branches of the big ash tree at the end of the shady bank and I don't have to buy another Brazen Hussey .

17/02/2013 at 19:48

Verdun - I can't believe that this thug was given to me originally be a fairly experienced gardener!  I should have been suspicious when she told me it was called Japanese Limelight and I couldn't find it in any of my gardening books .  Lucky for me it was only planted in a small contained flower bed and I was able to dig it all out even though it took some brute force to do so!

However, it is amazing what conditions some plants can put up with and still survive.

17/02/2013 at 20:17

October a couple of years ago I was presented with carrier bags of matteuccia and a cream iris pseudocorus. They sat all winter by the hedge. Planted out at the end of a really hard winter they were fine

17/02/2013 at 23:14

Someone gave me artemisia limelight at a plant swap. I liked it the first year, but now I keep having to dig it up and it's a b..... nuisance. I never knew what it was, but now all is clear.

email image
10 messages