Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

32 today, what are you doing to keep cool,,,

A sweltering 32 here today and everything is wilting in the garden. So after a good water I will be sat watching the sun go down possibly with a little pimms!!!...... So what's everyone else doing to keep cool?

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,277

Making jam. Hot outside, hot inside, what's a little more?

• Oooo what type of jam waterbutts? I did strawberry last week it's yummy. Moved my rhubarb earlier in the year and its gone beeeeserk so am gonna do maybe rhubarb and ginger!!

Blackcurrant, gooseberry and I'm thinking of trying to find a recipe for tomato jam that my gran used to make. My first year of trying to grow them and I seem to have hit the jackpot. 25 kilos and counting.

Strawberry jam is my absolute favourite. Has yours set well? I never seem to get the stuff to be more than runny. But it still tastes delicious. The Pimms  sounds goooooood!

• I just lay out on a lounger enjoying the sunshine. Then a nice coolish bath. Have been out and watered everything. It's nice and cool in living room this evening. Having said that I love the sound of homemade jam image

• My strawberry jam did set very well I always add 1 spoon of liquid pectin.... I have the river cottage jam book and its ace.... My blueberries are spectacular this year may add them to some hedgerow jam!!!! I'm also going to do crab apple and chilli this year as I have a mega bumper crop of chillis!!!!! Tomato jam sounds amazing I have grown Black Russian tomatoes this year I thought they were going to be cherries but they are more like beefsteak!!! Yumm can't wait

• I made strawberry & rhubarb a couple of weeks ago & was surprised how good it was. (Sound of own trumpet being blown!!image) I prefer it to the strawb on its own which I also did, as it's not too sweet.

Having been away for a week, & there was a lot of rain, the rhubarb is huge again so might risk trying another batch.

• GirlyfoxGirlyfox Posts: 50

made 2 home made strawberry cheesecakes today then did a lot of watering after sorting out my rabbit hutches flowers on everythingimage

• MahwahMahwah Posts: 14

The Potty Gardener is not so potty - the way you used your day sounds perfect!  Trying to work in the garden in temps. of around 30 degrees is bonkers - especially for an old bat like me.