Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A garden is the best medicine

Yesterday I came home again after four weeks away from it. A warm sunny afternoon stepping out of the car to see a lovely mown lawn edges trimmed and the bushes clipped, that made me smile, then into the house and through to the conservatory looking out at the back garden full of flowers, the Fuchsia bushes in full bloom still, all neat and tidy thanks to my wonderful family plus a gardener for the lawns. It was a week in hospital and three weeks staying with one of my Daughters to recover, it has been sunny and warm most days up here in the North East so we sat in her lovely garden or motored to another Daughter and sat in her garden. They brought me home and my S/L was sitting down to a feast of my tomato's fried in butter on toast with much lip smacking, he had looked after them for me and now I can eat them as well, was unable to before the op, guess what my lunch will be? Ailsa Craig the tomato I was brought up with and to me the real taste of tomato.

Relaxed and comfortable looking out over my garden with the biggest smile on my face I suddenly felt strength pour back, yes a garden is the best medicine after all, slept like a log last night and now looking out over the sunny garden feeling much better.

Frank.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Morning Frank, I also went into hospital on Saturday and came home on Monday with a new knee, only 3 days i know but i asked Kate to help me to the greenhouse and then check if anything needed a drink but no everything had been well looked after,  so we had coffee in the sun ,and was i glad to be home,  ( just for info i had the op in Sandringham private ex BUPA hospital nhs sent me there as iv been waiting a good while and iv had other ops as well , really great hospital ) anyway like you say Frank good to be back home ,take it easy,,cool erin Norfolkimage

• Frank, so sorry to hear you've been poorly and hope you will soon be fit and well again.

I know how much your garden means to you, so fully understand how much of a medicine/tonic it is for you......of course, I also know that you also have a loving and caring family that will take good care of you.

I started a 'Strictly' thread here the other day and I'm relying on you to add your valuable input.

Take care......hugs, (you said you didn't mind.) image 

• Frank - so glad you're back and on the mend - you've been missed. 

Alan, glad all has gone well - don't overdo it!

Enjoy your gardens, both of you - gardens really are the best medicine image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ahhh, so it was you who ordered the late sunshine!image, hope you enjoy it and that you feel a little better each day image
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Oh Frank lovely to have you home image We missed you xx

Alan hope you're on the mend image

• Alan, please forgive me, I hadn't spotted your post when I replied to Frank.

Please accept my best wishes for a speedy recovery....I know (thankfully not from personal experience) the post op period can be very painful.

Good luck.

• Thank you each and all for the good wishes, you do realise how much the board friendships mean when you cannot see the posts.

Alan NHS did me proud, all the blood tests and samples during June July did not show up the problem, my own Doctor fast tracked me as he suspected it was bad. In spite of my age all the fitness tests were OK and they did find the alien so down I went at eight on the morning woke up at four in the afternoon, a six hour op. Seven days wonderful care and out to my Daughters who would wrap me in bubble wrap if they could, nice to be cared for though I wanted to be home. The very good news a week later it was "C" but they got it all no chemo, still have some plumbing in place but a small price to pay. The Hospital staff are like us have outside lives and worries, often short staffed and in my opinion underpaid, not that you would notice, Professional and caring each of us treat as if the only patient, wonderful and nothing like the bad press they get.

Saw the first programme David, I know three of them so will hold my council until I see some dance moves.

Frank. PS savoured my tomato's for lunch. 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Welcome back Frankimage Hope you and Allan have a speedy recovery.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I wish you well Frank, thank God for family,where would we be without them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Glad to hear that you are back home and recovering Frank. Enjoy your garden in this lovely weather.image

Best wishes for a trouble-free recovery Alanimage