Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A grand Auld Lad.

Daughter dropped off Max last night in dog terms in his nineties, she is away for two days. He came in tail whirling like a propeller dropped his big head on my knee for his hug and then went round the house inspecting it, the garden came next. Daughter said he has come alive, he had flopped about all day. Under the Vet for many things but I would say a couple of years in him yet.

He has memory of living with us weeks on end while the family were away, never wanted to go home and seemingly he never forgot. He is sitting in the sunshine on the Conservatory step a nice change from the constant downpour we got all day yesterday apart from the last hour to sunset.

One bonus, he never forgot his job of keeping the cats away and when the killer cat climbed the fence he was seen off pronto, each to his own, cats and I do not mix.

Frank.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Frank/Dad - I can just picture the two of you. Enjoy your 'boys' time together  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Fairygirl Daughter, there will be three of us shortly, Sonny from next door is staying for a few hours while they go out. He is a Jack Russell Corgi cross two years old and full of life unlike Max and I. He gets on my knee and nods off, Max will not like that, I may need some Thanet wire and sandbags as I cannot see them playing football in no mans land together.

There is a free range chicken in the oven cooking so I will feed them both into sedation, me too, Picture all three flat out in the conservatory after a hearty lunch, Gardening is on hold until tomorrow, unlike you busy people I have all the time in the world.

Frank.

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Max sounds like my kind of dog.  An old hand and subtle in the ways he gives affection in recognising where he likes to spend his holidays and chill out!  Lovely story.   There is nothing so calming and quietly perfect than to have a happy aged animal around who is at home in their surroundings.  What brilliant companionship.

You'll have  a lovely day  image

That's reminded me to get a chicken for eldest daughter to do this week. She's a dab hand now - even at the roast potatoes image

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Oh Lord Palaisglide : free range chicken in the oven and post-feed flat out in the conservatory afterwards.  I'm envious.  I bet we all are.image

• Frank, you're the best!

Would give you a hug...cept it isn't what old soldiers do. image

David, no need to be shy, when we landed in the base camp after crossing the Sinai from guess where? we were a mixed bag of 42 Commando 6th Para 4th RTR and odds and ends, nothing to do but drink Stella and listen to an old wind up gramophone. A Para asked a Commando to dance !!!! what started well ended in the fight of the century, well it did clear the air, the room and surrounding area but filled the MI room, We all drank happily from then on, a hug does no harm.

Frank. 

A lot of hugs is what they all should have David eh? We all owe them such a great debt. 

We should never forget. image

T'auld Lad had his walk along memory lane but only slowly and less than a quarter of what we once did. His tail was going as he sniffed the bushes and now and then a little spurt of speed to a slow walk something he remembered. A slight bank back taxed him and the step into the bungalow but the smile on his face was enough. Breakfast and he looked at it then me "what is this then" it is what you always have, "yuck maybe at home but not here" so out came the chicken, there is enough left for Daughter a sandwich when she comes for him. "That's better" and it vanished, after all the age we are the odd treat is not what kills you, boredom will.

He is in the conservatory looking out into a sunny garden whilst I am thinking "no point in getting the hoover out until he has gone". Our chill out yesterday was interrupted several times, there would be a ping then a message from Cyprus on the I-pad, message from California not good news, message from Grandchildren on I-phone is Max OK, who the h@@@ thought it a good idea to connect all those things, I shut the laptop down in the end.

So Max will go home reluctantly at lunch time, I get my house back, he carries more kit than I did in the army and it will be too quiet, better turn the laptop back on for the constant messages, my family never stop talking, is that good or bad.

Frank.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Oh bless Frank I think we all get the idea you'll be sorry to hear him go. There's something about having a dog in the house that gives it an extra sparkle.

As for dogs travelling light - I'm convinced my grandparents dog travels with more equipment than babies the poor dog has his own suitcase for a weekend away!