London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
141 to 160 of 287 messages
20/08/2014 at 20:24
My mom had a cake stand and little dessert plate thingys from esso! It was our bestest set, only used at crimbo!
20/08/2014 at 20:50

My mum had a full set of glasses, a full dinnerware set and a full set of soup bowls from a garage......Mobil I think.....my Gramps used to work there when I was little so we got 'extra' vouchers  

21/08/2014 at 00:29

Just the one tumbler left here friends from the garage

I bought stainless steel serving dishes witht green shield  stamps  for my bottom draw ,also pans.,  

the pans are long gone but I've only recently given the serving dishes to help the aged charity shop.

21/08/2014 at 14:21

Got 2 free garage tumblers in our Scottish cottage...  Had a great electric blanket, "bought" with Green Shield stamps - reluctantly decided recently it was no longer safe to use, after 20-something years (don't worry folks, we did get it serviced regularly - but eventually the firm went bust!).

21/08/2014 at 14:29

Re senior momentism:  OH and I spent much of yesterday afternoon and evening assembling an IKEA "Brimnes" day-bed (one of those clever things that turns into a double by pulling out the side), and it WORKED.  Didn't fall out over it either, and managed to understand all the instructions, eventually... so I reckon the little grey cells must still be working ok...    (Won't tell you how many times we put down the screwdriver & couldn't remember where it was, though  )

21/08/2014 at 15:08

I started my senior moments when I was in my thirties.  I married a twin, woke up one morning and couldn't remember which twin I married.  Needless to say he is now my ex.  Plus, I couldn't stand his brother whichever one he was!!!

21/08/2014 at 15:10

Aaah the screwdriver thing Liri - bit similar to the old secateurs thing that isn't it...

How many times did you find it under the sheet of instructions in the same way that the secateurs are always under the pile of trimmings? - or maybe that's just me.

And if they're ALWAYS there - why don't I remember look there first?

21/08/2014 at 15:11

You snuck in there Early Riser - blimey that IS a bad one!!!! 

21/08/2014 at 18:41

That screwdriver/secateurs thing is the same as the sellotape and scissor thing when you are wrapping presents, it drives me mad.

I also had loads of stainless steel serving dishes with green shield stamps which havent long gone the way of the charity shop, also pyrex dishes and stands. Green Shield stamps were a godsend when it came to the old 'bottom drawer'.

My friends dad was working in Ireland when he met the girl of his dreams.  About 3 weeks after he returned to England she turned up on the doorstep declaring undying love.  Passion got the better of them and she ended up pregnant.  Unfortunately it wasnt the girl of his dreams it was her twin sister.  Times were very different then and they got married and had the baby (my friend) they never did get divorced.

21/08/2014 at 19:08

My Mother used to collect the stamps from the front of Black & Greens loose tea. You had to collect about a million to get 'free' multicoloured plastic tulips.  Yuk ! 

Re the Vesta curriys. I'll photograph the box next time I'm in the shop because I know it seems incredible that they still sell those delicious boxed meals. 

21/08/2014 at 21:24

That rang a bell Runnybeak, my mum used to collect the free plastic flowers you got with washing powder.  We also used to have that loose tea but I thought it was called Green & Blacks. I could only cook Vesta's when my dad was at work he used to go mad if I cooked that 'foreign muck' in the house, never was very politically correct my dad.

21/08/2014 at 21:41
Wish I still had my 1970 World Cup coin collection. Had the full set - all mounted in the special blue cardboard mount - courtesy of Esso petrol. But I guess most of us had those.....?
21/08/2014 at 22:24

...no, Topbird, not World Cup coins... knew nothing of football until I met my OH.    But I did collect tea cards - lots of series - flowers, wild animals etc, but I don't think I managed to complete any of the sets...

21/08/2014 at 22:24

Not sure if it's a senior moment / me being dim or just newbie-ness, but I've only just realised that when on sowing instructions it says 'don't eliminate light' or something similar,   that it means don't cover the seeds with compost!!!  I thought it meant don't put them somewhere dark and I remember thinking earlier in the year when doing lots do sowing that it was a daft thing to say as I might be new but even I know seeds need light to grow!!!  Durhhhhhh 

21/08/2014 at 23:23

I have trouble with that OL. I always feel that the seeds need to be tucked cosily under the compost.

21/08/2014 at 23:43

Thank goodness it's not just me, I thought they would all need to be covered to keep warm 

21/08/2014 at 23:50

Orchid lady.  I think you were right originally about the light thing. It would say on the packet of seed if the seed should be on the compost, and seed as variable re their needs for light

22/08/2014 at 00:02

Next to the Vesta curries on the shelf were packets of spaghetti Bolognaise.  inside the box three sachets,  little lengths of pasta,  pink gritty stuff, and a little thing of Parmesan smelling of sick.  Oh, the sophistication of it!!

22/08/2014 at 01:21
Liri, i collected tea cards to, got a badge for it with the brownies , back in the days when you had to wear an awful scratchy brown dress!
22/08/2014 at 07:54

Does anyone remember the golliwogs on Robertson's jam? You collected tokens and got badges or little clay figurines. I collected them to get one figure playing the clarinet because of my Dad. Most peculiar. You wouldn't be allowed them now of course! 

My Mum used to give us the Vesta Chow Mein and ...Beef Risotto! What a delicacy that was. So much so that, when I was expecting first child... and struggled to eat virtually all normal food...I ate that ...  

That's so embarrassing I'm having one more of these 

141 to 160 of 287 messages