London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 2°C
161 to 180 of 287 messages
KEF
22/08/2014 at 08:18

Someone in this house has had a senior moment and it isn't me. The jar of marmalade has a Hellman's mayo lid on it, no wonder I couldn't find it, thankfully no mayo on the inside of the lid, currently no mayo in the house. We don't have mayo for breakfast or marmalade for dinner.

Fairy I had some of the Golly badges, have you mentioned to biggest little fairy what you scoffed? Maybe get some for an evening when no one wants to cook 

Also remember that Vesta beef curry brought me out in a hot sweat  taste buds have either matured or died in later years.  

22/08/2014 at 08:21
My Grandads siblings called him golli, because he had similar hair to the image on the jars, i remember my mom was very embarrassed when she explained it to me! Thank goodness things have moved on!

My poor grandad, his middle name was bulstrode! Who calls a kid that???
22/08/2014 at 08:37
I collected the golliwogs too! - very un-PC now of course - but my favourite had a guitar.

We used to enjoy a rather disgusting variety of tinned 'treats' at Christmas when I was a kid.
These included large tins of fruit juice (we never had fresh), tinned strawberries and raspberries and tinned meat - notably ham and chicken which both came encased in a horrible aspic (or other) jelly.

I can taste them all now - strangeley very different to the fresh versions and not very pleasant textures. But I'd probably be transported back to Christmas circa 1967 if I ate them - so I guess I'd secretly enjoy eating them - just the once.
22/08/2014 at 08:50

Topbird - I think the reason for the 'odd' figurines was an even more un PC one. They were all what could have been members of an old style trad jazz band who would have been from the Deep South.  I remember the guitar one too and they also had a saxophonist so I had that too as that was my Dad's other instrument. 

KEF -  jars!  

We had the Vesta discussion a while ago - in fact  - I showed them to her in the SM! They didn't have the risotto though - Chow Mein and some other unmentionable delight - possibly the curry. We never had that - it would have been too continental for my Dad 

With youngest fairy it was full blown roast beef dinners - I'd not eaten roast beef since I was about 12  and have only started eating it again recently! 

Happy days eh? 

22/08/2014 at 08:56
You knew you were sohisticated when mom and dad had a bottle of blue nun or hock on the dinner table!
22/08/2014 at 09:02

Aaaah .... Blue Nun - back in the day - and not forgetting good old Mateus Rose - later recycled with a candle in the bottle for a sophisticated romantic table light.

22/08/2014 at 09:15

Hehe! Bekkie, blue nun, I remember it well! My parents used to have soirees and instead of a cheese board, would serve fondue. Eww!

22/08/2014 at 09:19

These senior moments   eh

How we lived it was the time of our lives was,nt  it  the kids these days don't know what they are missing ..........or do they ? 

I have started reading the books from my childhood eera  of the sixties then the seventies I can connect to then from beginning to end.

Again

Those were the days! .................

22/08/2014 at 09:19

You can still get Mateus Rosé and I still like it. My father gave me my first sip of hock when I was 8, I really liked it.

22/08/2014 at 09:26

I have been trying to work out for the last few days how much 70 euros are in our currency  help !!!

Senior moments still coming through....

I

22/08/2014 at 09:30

Caral - in the 70's every wedding present list had a fondue set on it. I still really like cheese fondue although my waistline doesn't  Always ended up with scolded mouth and cheese dripped somewhere.

Busy-L - we were given alcohol regularly as children. We always had sweet cider with Sunday lunch - a very small glass which we had to sip throughout the meal and I think the French, in particular, still tend to do this don't they? To try to teach children that alcohol is to be savoured and enjoyed in moderation with meals rather than necked in an effort to get drunk as quickly as possible.

I suspect that giving drink to kids in the UK is now as un-PC as the Robinson thing - but has always seemed sensible to me.

22/08/2014 at 09:31

70€ is about £56, but I expect you've got there by now! It all depends on the exchange rate anyway.

22/08/2014 at 09:31

Grandma - about £58! 

22/08/2014 at 09:32

Sorry BL you snuck in on me there! 

22/08/2014 at 09:34

When the family were staying recently, baby grandson's baptism, we had champagne. I offered my 8 yr old grandson a sip and he said "Oh no, I can't, Mummy says children aren't allowed". Mummy is my daughter who would have had a sip when she was little.

22/08/2014 at 09:34
I was always allowed alcohol if i wanted it, which juat meant i wasnt bothered

Until i reached my teens that is, but i soon grew out of it!
22/08/2014 at 09:47

I was allowed/given alcohol from a very young age. Apparently Scotch is far more effective than Bonjela teething gel.   

22/08/2014 at 10:06

Topbird, I just don't 'get' fondue nor its appeal - burnt lips and grease stops everywhere. 
If I'm going to eat cheese, it has to be old and very strong. 

22/08/2014 at 10:57
bekkie hughes wrote (see)

I can beat that. My uncle would never sign his full name unless it was legally binding. His middle name was 'Unexpected'

22/08/2014 at 14:57

My son in law's middle name is Aher, apparently its a family name from Jersey.  When they got married everyone thought the vicar was clearing his throat.

161 to 180 of 287 messages