Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

advice on taking Geranium cuttings

Hi all, I tried to find a previous post about this but couldn't.

I have recently bought a couple of small Geraniums 'white splash'

I haven't taken cutting from geraniums since I was young so need to re-learn. I understand this plant isn't perennial and would like to increase my stock. 

1: Can I take cuttings? if so what time of the year? (bearing in mind they are only about 12cm plants now).

2: I would like to keep them for next year aswell and keep growing my stock, Whats the best way?

I know there are some real experts at this on this forum so any advice would be appreciated.

DD 

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Can't open that link Brumbull

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi, I know we used to call these geraniums, but nowadays they're pelargoniums - that might help you in your searches image

They are frost tender so need to be overwintered indoors in frost-free place, or my granny used to dry them off and put them in their pots in cardboard boxes under the bedi n the spare room.

Here's a delightful video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vEb75lzuc .  It's not the most detailed, but I'm sure it shows you all you need to take your cuttings, and it is charming - I love his shed image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I've always taken them at any time of the growing season, spring through to late summer.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Lol Dove, Peter is a sweetheart.. Thanks for the link.

& can I just say, They are geranuims, just like carnations are carnations, Jif is jif and Pluto is a planet. 

That's fine Dave, yours are geraniums - you'll just have to remember that when you want to look them up you spell geranium PELARGONIUM  image

LOL, yes Dove

I'm one of those terrible stick in the mud northerners..

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    discodave wrote (see)

LOL, yes Dove

I'm one of those terrible stick in the mud northerners..

Aye,it's grim oop north....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

And ddave- 'marathons' most definitely aren't 'snickers'....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Dove ,, how do you get the ww upload thing onto the site ,when i put mouse on it ,it becomes underlined ,How  is it done please and  where from

Alan4711