London (change)
Today 25°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
11 messages
25/07/2013 at 14:03
Hi all im only putting this on as it might help to understand how it works it helped me,its of the net www.RuralMuse.co.uk Nutrients breakdown for plant food/teas N.P.K = Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium Comfrey N 1.8 Nettles N 1.7 P 0.5 P 0.6 K 5.3 K 4.5 Is Nettle Fertilizer Suitable for All Vegetables? N= Nitrogen Leaf and Stem Growth P= Phosphorous Roots and Buds K= Potassium or Potash Fruit and Flowers And so this brings us to the question of nettle feed and its suitability. As already mentioned, nettle feed is a rich fertilizer, and helps to promote all aspects of growth. Nettles are nitrogen-rich plants, but the fertilizer acts as a good all-round general fertilizer too. In particular, nettle feed will also benefit dark green, leafy plants such as brassicas. So it???s fair to say that generally, many plants will benefit in some capacity from a dose of nettle feed. But it???s also fair to say that different plants will thrive on different amounts of NPK, depending on their growing requirements. For instance, flowering or fruiting plants need the right nutrients to help sustain the growth of the bloom or the fruit. They need phosphorus to promote growth of the root and buds, as well as relatively larger volumes of potash to encourage healthy fruit or flower production. If you give flowering or fruiting plants too much nitrogen, the chances are that you???ll just encourage an abundance of leafy growth ??? and not much more. Not ideal for promoting flower blooms or a heavy fruit yield! long but only the once Alan4711
25/07/2013 at 14:19

Thanks Alan4711 for the help - I have nearly made nettle feed for my plants and have made comfrey feed but need to use it yet

25/07/2013 at 15:23

I have used both feeds for years with excellent results and understood the significance of their breakdowns. I also make a feed out of Rhubarb leaves. I was told about this many years ago, but do not have the breakdown for this as above outlined by Alan for Nettle and Comfrey feeds so if anyone has any info, I would muchly appreciate it.

I was pleased to see Monty making some this year, as I have given it away to my neighbours and feel vindicated in my efforts, however we all agree it does smell somewhat  so as a group we tend to feed at night and in particular if a shower is forcast which helps it get into the ground and keeps the "pong"!! at bay.

Thanks Alan 

25/07/2013 at 20:07
hi sorry about all the ???? they we not in my original post, also Dandelion which i don't have the N P K for is apparently better than nettles or Comfrey ,worth a try if you have a problem with them, Marg try the dry way of making it not so smelly
Alan
25/07/2013 at 20:24

what is the approx. dilution rate for comfrey or nettle liquid per gallon of water? please

26/07/2013 at 11:21

The ususual ratio is 10-1.that is ten parts water to one part feed - hope that helps.

Thanks Alan for your advise re drying first, will be a great relief for all. hehe

sorry Alan,Didn't understand your reference to all the question marks hope I haven't asked too much of you but your help is gratefully received but unfortunately any dandelions i find go to our rabbit-hehehe but will try anyway.

26/07/2013 at 16:12

thanks margaret got it on bbc player, Monty Don said half pint to a 2 gallon watering can.

27/07/2013 at 11:55

Yes, i was amazed to see his ratio last night on Gardners world, as I say I have done this for many years, and a good few years back on Gardners World (I think) One of the lady presenters who is no longer on the show, also did the netttle feed etc. and she advised the 10-1 ratio??? So I am confused, but think it is just down to the density of the feed and I do just vary it should it be a little weaker or stronger.I think it also depends how long it has been brewing, I usually use mine after 2-3 wks

Sorry if i clouded the issue.

27/07/2013 at 17:23

pinging

03/08/2013 at 22:59

Minging !

10/10/2013 at 16:10

Recently made up some comfrey 'soup'. It smells just like it says on the tin.! Despite having much trust in what I am doing, it iss a trust through an act of blind faith. I cannot really say that despite years of doing this, it has really made any difference to my plants . . . . .  inasmuch as , I make it up to roughly 1:10 ratio, and pour it on judiciously, and there is no discernable difference betwen the fed plants and the just watered plants.  I feel a lot better for doing it tho' !

email image
11 messages