London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
27/02/2013 at 06:57

People who enjoy upsetting other people ....

But to be fair, there's not "so much going on" - there are plenty of allotments that I'm aware of where it doesn't happen,  It is still unusual enough to be 'news' in most places.

Sadly in some places it is a more regular occurrence, as is vandalism of all kinds, and the causes are the same - emotional, intellectual and material deprivation

27/02/2013 at 14:43
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

But to be fair, there's not "so much going on" - there are plenty of allotments that I'm aware of where it doesn't happen,  It is still unusual enough to be 'news' in most places.

Sadly in some places it is a more regular occurrence, as is vandalism of all kinds, and the causes are the same - emotional, intellectual and material deprivation

you forgot the most important 'deprivation', that being mental deprivation.

27/02/2013 at 14:56

Bored youngsters or mindless adults,its no excuse .

27/02/2013 at 15:04
Can't say I've ever had or heard of anyone who's had a problem on our site. Sympathies go out to those with a different experience though.
27/02/2013 at 19:06

it was on the news on monday in hartlepool they were 3 allotments burnt down.I have had all my raised bed pinched cut 2 locks off for 12 pieces of wood but didnt touch my shed.Also on our site about 4 weeks ago some mindless thief pinch a greenhouse took glass out and everythink in the snow as well .

27/02/2013 at 21:16
LearningSlowly wrote (see)
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

you forgot the most important 'deprivation', that being mental deprivation.

Intellectual = mental 

27/02/2013 at 22:11

oh my goodness i have just got an allotment already one person came up to me as we were building some raised beds as we got all the wood free,and told me we dont like posh plots,i said it certainly wont be posh,but i cant get his comment out of my mind,should i be worried?

27/02/2013 at 22:14

Oh Chica, what an idiot! Some people! It is not nice to be made to feel unwelcome, but he's probably a lone voice. Have you met any other allotmenteers there yet?

27/02/2013 at 22:19

yes they all seem nice,the ladynext door said all the fruit off her blackcurrants went missing.but was told it was the birds.and some others gave me lots of rhubarb, so should i just wait and see its just that im so excited of having my very first allotment and want to make it nice

27/02/2013 at 22:32

Hi all ,Chica, I don't think you should be worried at all , unless he interferes with your plot, did you notice his plot and if so what did it look like . we had a visit on last Saturday night by the local vandals they had to walk over two miles in order to get to our plots they forced open a 40ft container( the office part) that we use for our meeting and they took 4 chairs an Ikea table which cost all of€5 and a garden sheers,the table and chairs where found in the next field broken .every thing they took can all be replaced .

Dereik

27/02/2013 at 22:44

well i did go and look at his plot and it was filled with manure and he was digging when i passed and said hi he ask me why i wanted an allotment ( der) so i said maybe i wanted to grow some veg? but as i live on the coast of devon our plots overlook the sea and to be honest we dont get a lot of vandels here untill holiday time then its crazy

27/02/2013 at 22:57

Some people think that there is only one way to do things, and that is the way they've always done them.  They didn't have raised beds, so raised beds are unnecessary and a fad for posh people who read magazines like Gardeners World.  

It takes all sorts to make a world (and probably even more to make a group of allotmenteers) so don't let him discourage you, just smile nicely, ask advice of those who seem helpful, and prove to him that there's more than one way to grow a cabbage 

27/02/2013 at 22:58

I hope you have a great time cultivating your allotment, Chica. There are individuals who are pains in the anatomy everywhere.

28/02/2013 at 21:51

thank you all i will do that

28/02/2013 at 22:03

and if gardening grandma needs someone to take those gorgeous dogs off her hands, me first !!!

01/03/2013 at 08:05

My husband wants your address!  One dog is female and sweet and the other is male and an utter pest but very funny. I've told my husband, get rid of the dogs and you get rid of me, and he's thinking it over!

01/03/2013 at 09:53

We quite often get tools and veg stolen from the site. Usually starts in the easter school holidays. MY shed was broken into but because my tools are so old they werent interested, just pulled everything off the shelves and dumped on the floor. One man had every pane of glass broken in his green house, because it had an aluminium frame the whole thing twisted and fell down. At one point the police were there more than the allotmanteers. You put so much time and effort into your plot its heartbreaking. Whatever is done they still manage to get in and cause trouble. The site is one of the biggest in the country and its very hard to keep an eye on the whole thing.

01/03/2013 at 14:17

oh dear maud i am sorry,i would rather give these low lifes the stuff free,i remember my dad once having an allotment and i never remember him having any trouble what is the matter with these idiots nowdays is it the way they are brought up do you think,i dont think anyone can keep making excuses for them do you ?

05/03/2013 at 19:40

The local police agreed to have barbed wire put on top of an 8 foot fence, so the b****** now come armed with wire and bolt cutters. The powers that be then planted very spiky blackberry brambles all around the perimeter, the next time the council came to mow the paths guess what, they cut down all the bushes.At the moment there are big discussions on going over to be self managing as the council dont want the responsibilty any more. What they plan for security im still waiting to find out. Watch this space

06/03/2013 at 23:15

i feel so sorry for you maud,what do they do when they get in, we have just had our agm meeting cos theres a problem with people burning there rubbish on site when the wind is in the wrong direction it chokes you,so thats a bit of a problem as it causes bad feeling if you tell them to put there fire out the other problem is we are right next door to a holiday camp whose golf range is just over the fence so you can imagin all the balls that come flying over so we are in battle with them and all we want is a quiet life.

1 to 20 of 25 messages