Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Any Apple Experts?

I was never very thrilled when Microsoft introduced Windows 8 (or 8.1)  but now they have seemingly learned from their mistakes and introduced what seems to be a very interesting operating system in  *Windows 10.

I'm contemplating updating my Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 7, with this in mind I called in on PC World today and was blown away by this Apple Mac.  

APPLE iMac with Retina 5K display

• OS X
  • Intel® Core™ i5 processor
  • Memory: 8 GB
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M290X
  • With built-in WiFi
  • £1,849.00

Any views from Apple users?

*Free upgrade for Win 7, 8 & 8.1.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Wouldn't know about that, but I have just upgraded to windows 10, can't be any worse that 8! I didn't like that at all.

at 2.000 pounds I wouldn't be looking to buy anything like that.

just bought the Apple iPad Air. Not that keen on it, but daughter wanted it so we can face time.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I got a new lap top in January and, after looking at Apple because I wanted something sturdier and more reliable than my DELL, bought an HP Pavilion with loads of memory for about €750.   I was told the Apple would make it difficult to migrate all my WORD, EXCEL and Publisher documents which I need to run the dance club.  Some of them date from Windows 7 and Vista days.

It has Windows 8 which I find frustrating but am getting used to.  I will migrate to 10 as soon as I hear some good reviews.   The HP is sturdy and has very good speakers which are important for when I'm putting playlists together.    I use external hard disks to store pictures, music and backups.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I love Apples macs

I've been using them since a retailer lent me one of the early ones for the weekend to try, 20 odd years ago.  It went back but I ordered one. I find them much more reliable than PC's. For graphics, or video editing, the only way to go.

• Thanks for your comments folks, much appreciated. image

Verdun wrote (see)

Hmmmm!  Thought this was a question about growing apples.

...fraid the play on words was intentional, Verd. image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I had my prompt for free 10 upgrade, very painless, no probs.

I Am not using the Edge which is what they want you to use!

just look for whatever you used before in the start menu and click it over to the task bar. All the passwords, bookmarks/favourites were all still there.

i prefer the home page, hated that windows 8 glary, flashy icons all over the screen, I like an icon free desk  top, they are now all in the start menu as in windows vista and 7,

i like the iPad for photos, very easy to send to sites or emails and have just bought macro and wide angle lens for it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.