Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anybody watching The Big Allotment Challenge

Particularly wondering what David thought of the Sweetpeas. Thought most were disappointing.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,657

Oh whatsits, forgot it was on, will have to watch on catchup image

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...enjoying this very much....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

The main thing I have to criticise about the show is that it didn't really show you how to grow the plants yourself. It dusted over that but and spent along time on the judging bit. 

• cairnsie wrote (see)

Particularly wondering what David thought of the Sweetpeas. Thought most were disappointing.

Yes, I did watch it and (as I'm also interested in making jams, etc) for the most part really enjoyed it. Not sure about the flower arranging, but I did think the judging in the other sections were fair and that the right couple were voted out.

The winning sweet peas were grown using the cordon method, therefore they stood out against the others that were grown using the decorative method....so that was to be expected. Not sure about the claim that early plantings were victims of 'frost', more likely being softened by too much TLC or possibly cold winds.

Look forward to the next episode.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I've recorded it so not reading the comments, will be interested to see what it's all about and expect as a newbie I will learn something image

• I am watching it now so far so good looking forward to some tips image
  • I have to say it didn't seem to focus on the 'gardening' aspect as much as I had hoped.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I started watching with scepticism - but i actually really enjoyed it!  Something a bit differentimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I too started watching with scepticism (my default setting) and when (as expected) it turned out to be not so much a challenge as a competition I switched over to see who was being bumped off in Midsomer.  I do dislike the need to bring the element of competition into everything on telly these days!  image

Rant over. image    Should I give it another chance?  Will I learn anything? image