Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone addicted?

I start this thread in a light-hearted way. I wonder if any of us worry that visiting these pages is becoming a serious addiction.

When I used the (now closed) Archers' forum, people used to make no secret of the fact they would get up in the middle of the night to read messages.

One particular worried poster even visited his doctor to discuss the matter, because he was turning down (much needed) overtime at work.  

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..not really, perhaps those more involved in 'chit-chat' threads might be... I tend to look more at 'plants' topics and there aren't always too many of those... but it's a fast moving forum and I like it for that...and reasonably international too...lots of visitors, so I find it attractive in that way...

..saying that...and I've just posted on a 'potting shed' topic..lol...

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Me neither, I agree with Salino about the non gardening stuff, I dont like it, and havent the time for it.

I like the seed swaps and gardening info, there are lots of general forums on the net for general chat.

I pop in to see the photos every so often and will ocasionaly post one if think I can make a contribution.

The site is not mobile friendly, no private message no typing box etc, that makes it worse for me.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

The forum is addictive - but that's because everyone is nice and there is helpful advice and interesting topics not lots of kool, krazy remarks from 'fun' people like you sometimes get on other forums.

Gardening is the master addiction though I suppose. It's the only hobby I allow myself at present due to expense and I was pacing around and drumming my fingers over winter waiting for signs of life in the garden- I suppose that is a withdrawal symptomimage

Wearside, England.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't think I'm addicted. Most of the time I've no idea what's going onimage

I like to look at pictures of plants and gardens and hear how people grow things.

I like to meet the members on trips and I like the seed and plant swap.

The rest is lost on me,  I live in my own private world. Never watchTV, maybe an occasional iplayer GW, and the rest of the world goes by. That'll do meimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

nutcutlet....bliss !..lol... 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

It is great sharing our enjoyment of gardening at whatever level and I find the photos of plants and gardens an inspiration. The forum can actually save you money by pointing out what is likely to survive in your own area and how to care for it.

There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here that I may be addictedimage.  I'll find out when I have no access to the forum due to being away for a week or twoimageimage

• Well, I'm addicted...and if I didn't purposely try to avoid the chat threads, I would be in need of therapy. image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I think this is a great forum, yes there are other forums available but I have found none as friendly.  As for addicted, well it depends what you class as addicted??  I look in every morning when I'm having my coffee, admittedly on one of the chat threads but that's my choice - Does that make me an addict??  No, because I can live without it and didn't come on last night as I was too busy. I've also made the decision not to take my phone or ipad when on holiday so won't be on then either, I can live without it for a week......it just might take me a week to catch up image

Sometimes when life is s*** in every other way it is good for a bit of escapism and chat with like minded gardening lovers, whether that be proper garden talk or just chat, I can't see anything wrong with that image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Edit my last post.....I will now be taking my phone on holiday but not so I can come on here image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

A little, yes!  I don't dip into the chat threads much otherwise I might not get anything else done!  I'm on hols for a fortnight and keep dipping-in several times a day instead of hiring that skip or ripping out that old fireplace etc. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.