Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 1,877 replies

Tootles

Hello - here's version two of this thread as the last one got too long.

I did a bit of raspberry pruning this evening. Nights are drawing out - yipppeeee! 

Steve 309

Just a bit of weeding and tidying up in the sunshine.  A lily my mum thought had died has some promising-looking buds low down so I've trimmed and repotted it.

Someone told me daylight's getting more by 15min a day at the mo, which sounds optimistic if you ask me.

Hazel --

I'm getting lost with all these double threads lol!

Steve 309

Some of us are used to seeing double...

Advertisement

BobTheGardener
Steve 309 wrote (see)

Just a bit of weeding and tidying up in the sunshine.  A lily my mum thought had died has some promising-looking buds low down so I've trimmed and repotted it.

Someone told me daylight's getting more by 15min a day at the mo, which sounds optimistic if you ask me.

It's actually about 4 minutes Steve.  Link here showing calculations for London (it varies by latitude, but that's close enough for anyone in the UK):

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/london.html

As a gardener, I welcome the longer days but the astronomer in me hates it!

Steve 309

That sounds more like it.  I've got the details in an almanac somewhere.

I sowed some parsnip seeds and cut out some of the old wood on currants
chicky

A quick post from me - just to get me on the notification list for this thread

Jimmy Crawford

I ordered some seeds and fed the birds. It's cold outside. Does that count?

Oneofseven

What I have learned today, thanks to Aster2 - the difference between Civil, Nautical and Astronomical twilights.   I didn't even know they all existed!   Thanks, Aster2.

Aster2

You are welcome, Oneofseven!

Pippin4

I am still staring out of the window at an expanse of mud although I try to get down to the bottom of the garden to check on the snowdrops in my little patch of woodland from time to time.  Bluebells are coming through strongly too and the black willow sapling I planted next to the stream is about to burst into catkins - lovely!

Not sure what the temperature is out there but it's feeling pretty warm.  Uncovered the temporary polytunnel to check on plants there and will keep it uncovered for couple of hours.  Planted out potted alliums.  

Advertisement

Steve 309

Spring is springing.  I like February.

Wintersong

Spring has definitely sprung in my corner of Kent this morning, not just optimistic weather but buds everywhere on beginning to open. My Virginia creeper is showing red tips, my alliums are robust, my tulips are all up in the early varieties and my group 2 Clematis are going nuts quite frankly 

time to get out there and pollard the Eucalyptus and start tying stuff in 

Wintersong

P. S  I keep forgetting to mention, there is definite new shoots on my iris 

Pippin4

It really is the most exciting time of year, isn't it?

Jomilton

About 1/3 of new border done. Aiming to finish by next Monday - nothing like a bit of optimism.