Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 1,496 replies

Tootles

Hi everyone, I've not been on the forum for quite some time (new format just wasn't for me despite trying). Just logged in out of curiosity (and a bit of insomnia!) to find a message from Nora dated August asking me to start a new version of this thread as the last one is too long I'm told. So here it is. 

Hope all of the old posters are well (I wonder if many other posters drifted away?) and that new posters are having fun on the forum. 

Watering and harvesting for me today. Hoping for a nice day pottering tomorrow.

Here's a link back to the previous thread:
http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/anyone-done-any-gardening-today---version-2/915541.html 

Hi Tootles, nice to see you back

There have been some improvements and a lot of the old hands are still around, so give it another go!

Last edited: 10 September 2016 07:25:37

michael mpc

hi tootles went down this morning 7 30am dug up enough spuds to fill 2 x40 gall water tanks very happy with amount I got nice big ones for jackets  (cara type) and chips and roasting    picked up green seed pots for bin    

Unfortunately....nothing!

I have been looking forward to getting in the garden all week, but it has been raining heavily in East Anglia all day (although I am sure the garden has been loving it!)

The OH's golf comp was even called off this morning so we have been shopping....twice!! (Unheard of in his vocabulary!)

Planning on some pruning and dead-heading tomorrow and I think I will also be roped into some remodelling of the pond, before a family BBQ at tea-time

Hello Tootlea....think we have gotten used to new format now 

top dressed front lawn after a good raking yesterday.   "What have you done to the lawn"? my niece asked critically.   Ok, the nice green sward is not quite so verdant right now but give it a week and it will be just the same as it was but just a tad more level.  The lawn will thank me next season 

Advertisement

Joyce21

Taking fuchsia cuttings, dead heading and cutting back.

Just battling with a Pieris which is bending over to crowd out the light to a lovely Azalea. Its partly due to some bamboo behind helping the top- heavy plant to lean a bit. Some trimming, staking and a good talking too should sort it!

Fairygirl

A lot of painting, sorting of back gate, and tying in sweet peas which had a battering from the rain and wind in the last few days. 

Bought some Miami alliums and a few Ruby Giant crocus on a whim yesterday, so might get them planted tomorrow if the weather holds up. Front grass to get done tomorrow too as it didn't get done today  

Victoria Sponge

Hi Tootles I wondered where you had gone...

Had too much fresh air yesterday and was too  to file my report.

Started work on a thin border in front of a mixed hedge which is going to be a moth border. So far planted and moved some red valerian and eve prim. Also moved my two ailing jap anemones in, more of a last chance than anything to do with moths. Left a knapweed and some sort of pink valeriana with a forgettable name in place, also some knautias because they are doing well-ish and I can't see the mildew on them at the back Also left a couple of Thalictrum in.

I'll add some bladder campion and verbascum and have a think about the rest

Hi C J W P and all

Just sitting and enjoying the garden today with a little dead heading and doing some cuttings. Glorious here in London and Tuesday set to be the hottest September day in 60 years.

Almost finished tidying and mulching sloping rockery border and added a Fountain Grass for a bit of height and interest. 

Ventured into the 'no-man's-land' behind some conifers at end of garden just to check on bramble situation and managed to drop a log on my foot! Have an ice-pack on it now! (Lesson: Crocs are not suitable footwear for hazardous terrain!) 

Perki

Not so much in my own garden just fed tomoatoes and pots around the garden. Planning about moving plants for next year.

Been digging up my mum garden this afternoon trying to level it out, surprisingly a Lancaster bomber and a spitfire flew over.

BobTheGardener

Huge amount of shredding done.  Looking at the way things are still growing in the garden there will be another large amount needed in a few weeks!  Lots of weed pulling before they set seed and a lot of dead-heading of the dahlias which are putting on a magnificent show.

Don't do much on Sunday,just a bit of dead heading.

Advertisement

Obelixx

Planted prezzies for my SIL.  Went to an Open Garden yesterday and picked up decent sized specimens of a deep purple salvia, a geranium Ann Folkard and a deep pink but not too tall Michaelmas daisy she liked so, since we were there for lunch today, I planted them for her so I know they'll get a good start.

Sorry for the break  had a family emergency to attend too  Haven't had much time  recently for corresponding  anyway things have been going well crops wise  climbing beans of various types have  done excellent and all finished now except for  a short row of french climbing beans  Potatoes  in the end turned out resonable a late planting of Maris Bard  didn't crop well but was able to dig 7 weeks later  Dahlias now in full bloom  Hamari Gold and Hamari Girl  real dinner plate size Have just re seeded two front lawns and already looking nice and thick Now tomorrow shall  be preparing for the sowing of over winter carrots trying a new one Imperator 58 have been advised it's the one that the carrot farmers grow for early crop  in the new year could not get the seed in small quantities in this country so  found some from USA have sown a few in  3 in  pot and every seed growed  will report later  I am trying a different way of growing spring onions in plugs and also winter lettuce once again while I'm on my winter holiday in Gran Canaria they will be covered with plastic tunnels  It's said we British are a country of animal lovers  I still keep looking behind me before I turn around so as not  to step on snowey my cat  who now rests under the dahlias maybe that's why they are doing so well   Again I've made further use of the old grow bags by planting potatoes as last year hopeing for new ones for Christmas Lunch like last year   Must go now doesn't time fly when having fun Good harvest to all    P'S  if anyone out there who knows of a carrot that will overwinter I would like to give it a go

Rain last night and drizzle earlier this morning so only gardening was to see the grass growing through my top dressing done over the weekend.  Ideal conditions for grass....very warm at night too, humid and that gentle rain.  Boasting to myself about perfect timing   lawns will soon be verdant and lush again 

Digging over a patch for my bulbs today (although thunder storm break currently!).

It was a 2M X 1M patch completely covered in Garden Loosestrife so I halved that last year to make room for bulbs and have halved again for more this year. I am planning to edge the patch with some logs to fashion a semi-raised border. 

Victoria Sponge

Nobody has gardened for nearly a fortnight! I'm telling GW...

Chopped clem Montana off my arbour seat today, well left a thatch on the roof I couldn't reach...it makes  it too dark and dank for a seating area so going to move it somewhere it can go nuts. Maybe the middle of the hedge.

Also had to cut some of my rose Veilchenblau down, that was my own stupid fault too, it had grown under the trellis and was pulling it off the fence.

Made a long list of plants I want for next year. Got my first lot of bulbs through yesterday and all, haven't planted them yet though, I like to wait until I'm completely overwhelmed with hundreds of bulbs so it's a proper chore

Hope everyone had a fun weekend

Last edited: 25 September 2016 19:19:57