London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
28/04/2012 at 20:04

Eddie it is always interesting to know how an artist works. Ilike the curvy sculpture, I can imagine it as a series of sculptures.

Still raining.

28/04/2012 at 20:25

Michelangelo said that you can see the sculpture inside the piece of stone and it is the sculptor's job to set it free. It's always like that with my clay work and I would imagine with wood too.

On a side note, I have been inspired (and frustrated) by Eddie's marvellous displays of garden art and am currently arranging something with wire and concrete mix, when the rain stops pouring that is

28/04/2012 at 20:32

I'd like to say thanks to you Kate.

By asking your question you have given me much more to think about. I find that sculpture and art as a whole becomes very boring and stale and needs to change. In many respects isn't that just the same with both nature and our love of gardening. The seasons change and bring a freshness with each change, and we are always changing plants, or moving them and pruning them. I had never appreciated that there is a link to everything. Sadly I have to shot off now, and will try and finish this a bit later.

28/04/2012 at 21:11

I should have earthed up my potatoes today, but I just couldn't be bothered (shame on me!), and I know I'm going to regret it because it is forecast to rain tomorrow.  It has been dry here today, but the 3 loads of washing I had out didn't dry.

Question: Does the pot you use make a difference to your crop?  I planted some radishes in a little terracotta pot at the end of Feb. I planted a second crop a couple of weeks ago in a plastic pot of similar size, and they are doing better!  Huh? I'm a total noobie, and blonde, so apologies if I seem ignorant!

28/04/2012 at 21:18
Temperatures should be higher now than in Feb (haha) and there is more daylight, both of which will promote faster growth. Terracotta pots are porous, but prettier, plastic pots better at moisture retention but more utilitarian in appearance.so it may be that your later sown radishes got a better start, and are in a moister environment for their roots.
28/04/2012 at 21:34

Thanks Figrat, that would explain why my early radishes always look drier than 4yo daughter Emily's.  Hers are green and lush, whereas mine look decidedly sick!   Oh well, live and learn

28/04/2012 at 22:14

I have just seen a weather forecast it says we may get a dry afternoon tomorrow

28/04/2012 at 22:55

I knocked a pot of lettuce seedlings out of their pot whilst helping hubby screw bits of wood into the wobbly fence to keep it upright. (I was removing my plants to save them being flattened. He also accidentally stood on 7 poppies growing in a clump as he struggled to keep the fence erect leaving them utterly flattered by his foot prints. 

I do wish I'd just planted a nice hedge ten years ago. The soil is so light and next door's ground level plunges by more than a foot so my fence posts have always been on the losing side of stable although its not my fault, the ground was fine when we put the thing up. I don't really know what to do about it, I don't have the money to replace the fencing myself and next door have kids, dogs and lots of parties. I shall have to ring the council and ask who's responsible seeing that they sent in the JCBs and flattened the entire area prior to the new tenants.

29/04/2012 at 00:06

Winter - Can you plant a hedge on your side of the fence and then remove the fence when the hedge has become established?

Geoff - Congrats on the footie!  My dad was watching on the TV and told me in great detail how great it was.  I remember none of the detail apart from their ground no longer being called The Dell.

29/04/2012 at 10:12

Wintersong whenever OH goes in the garden something gets damaged

Still raining, at least there is more footy to watch today.

29/04/2012 at 10:32

Yeah I'm lucky in a lot of ways. My husband is handy with wood and the lawn and he hardly squashes things on purpose. Of course my borders are treasured to me and the fencing is really annoying but hubby's been out there this morning fixing it or at least making it better, bless him.

And I don't have environmental issues such as rabbits or flooding to contend with which of course is far worse than a wobbly fence! Even my Phar (black Lab) is no longer around to mark his territory right on top of my prize plants!  Oh that sounds wrong, it was just that he never really understood not to do it.

29/04/2012 at 11:12

KG-well done just for the future it is StMary's- just in case you need to start a conversation in Oz in a few weeks and are short on ideas

Wintersong the only sure way is concrete posts-not cheap

It is25C and the sun is shining.

29/04/2012 at 11:14

Wintersong all gardens have their issues, it is just difficult when the best solution is money.

I have heard that the week you are going Geoff they are going to have a storm

29/04/2012 at 11:46

It's absolutely droughting it down here!  Duvet day I think...

29/04/2012 at 12:16

Hi all, awful day here. Daughter had to go & pick some rosemary for the foccatia that she & OH were making- very yummy. I'm hibernating! J.

29/04/2012 at 12:22

Jo glad to hear from you, thinking of you.

Steff37 great description.

29/04/2012 at 12:32

Got to admit, I stole it from hubby, who stole it from Twitter

29/04/2012 at 12:52

Geoff - I'm sure the people in Melbourne will be keen to hear anything I can pass on about Soton football team!

It's just stopped raing and looks a bit brighter outside but still far too windy.  Last night it was absolutely blowing a gale.  The downpipe blew off the sheltered housing block across the way and flattened some of their roses.  At least it didn't fall on any cars.

29/04/2012 at 14:21

The sun is out at Chelsea, just hope it is on its way here.

29/04/2012 at 14:25

My flat roof is leaking and I need to get up there with the black stuff-it has just stopped raining here the wind has dropped so I might have a window of opportunity this afternoon