London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
30/04/2012 at 15:21

The forecast says Wednesday is dry, I have several dahlias that need to get out of their pots,

30/04/2012 at 15:47

This keeps changing-the rain is now coming over night and clearing in the morning-then it says rest of the week dry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637487

30/04/2012 at 15:49

Hello,all--it's a gloomy wet morning here-I envy you your sunshine. Have got the fire going, as everything feels damp, and the forecast shows no sun until later in the week.So jobs like cleaning the gutters,and strimming the grass/weeds are on hold. Ditto with mortaring the retaining wall.

Might troll thru my photos for some before and after shots.

30/04/2012 at 16:14

Rest of the week dry? not on my forecast but if that is true...........

Good morning Inkadog we are wishing you warm weather too.

30/04/2012 at 16:23

Greetings all. South-East England has been bathed in glorious sunshine all day. D'you know it even got warm! Shorts with wellies in the garden, everything looks like its growing away I even have some Tulips coming into colour in my middle garden that I thought I'd lost as there was no sign of them last year! Seem to be dark in colour so they might even be my Queen of the Night that I lost, but we'll have to wait and see.

P.S. anyone know why two of my five Heuchera Flambe are a spectacular coral colour while the other three are a deep burgundy? All divided from one plant two years ago.

30/04/2012 at 16:26

Here's hoping, Wintersong--I lost mine last year. But my foxtail lily has lots of lush leaves-it didn't bloom last year, and this is about the 3rd time I've tried to grow them. Fingers crossed.

30/04/2012 at 16:29

Wintersong-are all the heucharas in the same spot or are some in shade,some in sun?

Will you posting pictures of wellies or shorts?

30/04/2012 at 16:35

Should do well on your stony soil Inkadog! They have very shallow roots and like full sun and super good drainage as I'm sure you already know. I love Foxtail Lilies and bought my original clump as a single dried specimen. It got moved around once or twice as is my way...but last year it found its perfect home and gave me seven flower stems and is even bigger this year I really want to increase my stock at some point. I love everything about them including their fat alien-ish buds in early spring and the burnt effect of their flowers as they go over.

Give us a piccy if it sprouts a flower 

30/04/2012 at 16:37

@sotongeoff..haha cheeky!

All are in the same ground but if I'm honest I believe the two coral ones get a spot of late sun that the others don't, but the planting difference is only 14inchs! Crazy world.

So, no scorch from midday sun but you reckon that little extra blast boosts their colour?

30/04/2012 at 16:44

Just an idea-it probably does make a difference in the colour between those in the  shade and those in the sun-other than that am stuck.

30/04/2012 at 16:45

I have a foxtail lily but it was eaten to death last year  so I was pleased to see it come back this year, fingers crossed.

I have lost several plants, how does that happen?

30/04/2012 at 16:57

Damp.cold,slugs,snails,caterpillars,rats and memory loss

30/04/2012 at 17:01

Steady yourself Geoffrey!  Keep yourself nice  Above, you've just described me and my life!   My Foxtail Lilly didn't even surface last year

Yvie

30/04/2012 at 17:03
sotongeoff wrote (see)

Damp.cold,slugs,snails,caterpillars,rats and memory loss

Second that, especially the memory loss. The amount of Delphiniums, Geums and Canpanulas I've lost track of over the years could fill a small garden.

30/04/2012 at 17:05

Geoff, yes I saw Monty planting the Lillie baskets. I thought for a moment about suggesting a pond to 'Vic', but after having to deal with about a million baby frogs in my tiny courtyard garden in Redhill, to the point where I couldn't step anywhere for treading on them, I thought better of it!  Such a pain.  They are the same baskets I've sunk the Tulips into, in the big bed.  I've also done the same with the Alliums and Sea Holly by the Waterfall Bed.

Yvie

30/04/2012 at 17:10

When I said lost, it is a memory problem, I bought some Eucomis in January and I cannot remember where I have planted them I also keep looking for the Echinacea in the wrong spot and they have yet to reappear.

Wintersong I agee about the small garden, I think of all the plants I put in the wrong places and the ones I thought were hardy

30/04/2012 at 17:17

Last year was the 1st year of spring bulbs in what I call the shrubbery and it was a glorious show:

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7194.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7195.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

This year I haven't seen this 9 headed beauty at all and this is the view

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7196.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

Still, it's an improvment on 2010....

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7197.jpg?width=256&height=350&mode=max

Lol!

30/04/2012 at 17:28

Glorious show, Hyppy Biker, great to see all your hard work paying off. Love those tulips--must plant some more Queen of the Night.

30/04/2012 at 17:34

They look gorgeous in the sun but these dull days don't bring them out at all - they're Ronaldo, freebies when I placed a large bulb order

You guys talking about foxtail lillies has got me salivating - musty find some from somewhere....

30/04/2012 at 17:45

HyppyByker  great photos. My foxtail lily was a present so I am keen to see it flower.