London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
41 to 60 of 421 messages
19/04/2012 at 11:27

Thanks for the advice Geoff, I am just a little garden fidgety.

I have just been reading the weather predictions for the next month, the house is looking like a greenhouse and it seems like it will be a while before I can get stuff outside.

19/04/2012 at 12:31

The forecast over the next few days is a repetition of the last few days-cool days and nights and showers-that warm spell a couple of weeks ago has already faded into oblivion-most of my plants are in the greenhouse-begonias still sprouting on a warm windowsill

19/04/2012 at 13:16

I think I am panicking about missing the April window. One minute you are getting ahead of yourself the next you are going into May with a garden full of weeds.

19/04/2012 at 15:12

With all this rain the weeds are going be popping up everywhere-sometime this month we will get some warm weather-that is a promise

19/04/2012 at 16:14

Thunder and lightening here now. When will it be warm?

The mistake I made on Monday was to leave all the clematis prunings on the side path, so I cannot do anything till I move them.

19/04/2012 at 16:23

I've just been down to the greenhouse to replace the fleece over the dahlia pots in there. Honestly wish the Met office would be consistent with the local forecast- lunchtime news 4C overnight, 3pm 2C, which means poss colder in my garden- grr.

Am being patient Kate. Got another hospital session tomorrow, so any garden plans 'on hold' for a week. Mind you the weather no help! J.

19/04/2012 at 16:46

Have looked into the crystal ball and give it 2 weeks then all will be well-perhaps-you don't think that warm spell was summer-crikey

19/04/2012 at 18:18

Jo take it easy.

I am worried that we have seen all the good weather for the year. I will go manic quite soon.

19/04/2012 at 20:48

You were up early today Kate - you even beat me (I get up at 5am).  I know what you mean about seed covers.  I was itching to tidy up my cosmos seedlings but restrained myself.

I'm so glad I bought my lovely10x10 potting shed in the summer.  Last spring my conservatory was knee deep in things waiting to go out but now most of them are sitting on the shelf of the potting shed by the window.  Do you remember that computer game where you had to fit shapes together (tetris or something)?  It is like that in the potting shed with trays of plants.

20/04/2012 at 11:30

Well it looks like no gardening again today-not that much needs doing in any case-just a matter of waiting for a bit before doing the baskets, the containers, setting out the tomato plants, planting out the dahlia tubers,sowing the beans.........

I have a list

20/04/2012 at 12:37

I cannot believe it woke up to blue skies and sunshine, I have managed a good 3 hours gardening this morning. I did a couple of chores that were bothering me and there was planty of weeding. I also cut down more of next doors Armadii. Time for tea and toast.

20/04/2012 at 12:59

Sounds like a well deserved break Kate. No gardening here today as OH is dismantling a chimney and everything is full of smaller and larger pieces of brick.

20/04/2012 at 16:26

Chucking it down again-I am going here in 3 weeks-this is the current weather-cannot wait

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2514256

20/04/2012 at 16:40

FC is this a full size chimney?

We have had more rain but the sunshine has returned  Who needs Malaga when you can visit Cornwall

20/04/2012 at 16:45

Cannot thing of one reason

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641589

20/04/2012 at 16:48

I may need to take my winter coat 

I have a space in my propagator, shall I sow Nicotianas, Morning Glory or Tomatoes?

20/04/2012 at 16:51

Can you not do all three-I thought you had tomatoes-now if you need some plants I know someone who has some for sale

20/04/2012 at 16:53

I thought That it was a bad idea to mix seeds in a tray?

What do you charge for postage?

20/04/2012 at 16:57

Oh only a little space then-it is tricky if they germinate at different rates-morning glory don't transplant well in my experience so would sow them direct-cosmos best bet-what happened to the toms?

Horrendous postage costs -can you send the pigeon?

20/04/2012 at 17:10

I've been digging around in large circles of gravel today unearthing the fat purple fingers of my hostas that erupt from the ground as though clawing for the sunlight. I go so far as counting the fingers greedily, talking to them as you do and adding another ring of grit to keep the slugs off. I'm especially pleased with my newbie Patriot that I brought last year from B&Q with three stalks and this year there are eleven fingers!

I adore hostas but only started growing them recently because I was afraid of the slug population. I currently own six varieties but am reallly hoping to improve on that!

41 to 60 of 421 messages