Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

April in Your Garden

It has been a stormy day here in the South East of England. I have not been able to do any gardening but I have had a gardening success story. I gave away some of my seeds to a women on freecycle, hopefully one more person converted to the joy of gardening.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Couldn't garden if I wanted to- there is a fire in the docks,and you can hardly see the trowel in front of your face-the smoke is dense and acrid-not a day to be outdoors

• YviehYvieh Posts: 85

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good Geoff.  Too wet and windy here for most of the day.  Got soaked this morning replacing blown away cloches, and haven't really warmed up since. Hope it's not going to be like this at the weekend.  I have lots of seedlings to pot on and another bed to mulch.

Have you fully recovered now Kate?

Yvie

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

When I got home from work I had to rescue my holly because it's pot had blown over again.  I had deliberately moved it to a sheltered corner because I knew it was going to be windy but it obviously was not sheltered enough.  I picked it up (getting a face full of prickly leaves for my reward), gave it a drink and tucked it away in the corner between the shed and the back door.  That was enough gardening for one windy day on the south coast.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

All I've done today is re-secure a wandering coldframe- empty luckily- & tomorrows' forecast for us just as bad! J.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I am still feeling grim, there was so much I had planned to do in the garden this week. I should have checked the forecast.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

having recently had surgery on my upper spine I can't do proper gardening at the mo but I have been out doing som elight pruning of roses and clematis and have started painting my rusty obelisks.   Tomorrow I'm planning to sow seeds in the greenhouse which is gentle, satisfying work.

Today I had my first garden group meeting of the season and it was lovely to catch up with my friends again but when I got home, the farmer had been muck spreading over the road and the place stank so I was happy to stay indoors and check seed packets.  Onwards and upwards tomorrow then and rain overnight to settle the pongs.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Obelixx sorry to hear about the surgery, hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Rain today and snow and rain for tomorrow. So I just potted up some verbena, nicotiana and cosmos. I did notice my elephant ears(the plant) lol, are poking through. I bought a bag of 12 bulbs. These are the huge ones. I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. Perhaps talk some of my customers into letting me plant them in their flower beds. Fingers crossed.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Hi Kate.  I'm fine now and pain free which is brilliant, just restricted and a bit frustrated - no gardening, no dog walking and no dancing for a while so getting unfit too.  However, the seeds compost has been heaved into place by OH so I'll be able to sow to my heart's content this pm.   

Is your 1123 a reference to your birthday cos if so it's the same as mine?

Powwow - OH thinks we'll get more snow if current rain and frost patterns continue.  I hope not.   I'd planned to try scented nicotiana this year but I expect it's too late to sow them now. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato