Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Asda

It may just be me, or i didn't notice last year but (not to sound like Asdas PR dept) but they have really ramped up on the gardening front. The store in St Austell has an outside cage that is full of spring flowers and shoots ready for summer flowering and they are reasonably priced.

They have also invested in garden decoration i.e. Decorative bark three 70L bags for £10.

Are superstores going to start to take over the local garden centres like they have with local convenience stores?

only time will tell.

Dan xxxx

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

Asda will take over our lives if there's profit in it...   but yes I agree they do seem to be doing a lot more now and it's always on the cheap side, like everything else they do.  But just to even things up, Morrison's are doing some good compost deals, well I think so, manageable 20 ltr bags of Ericaceous compost for £3 and 20 ltr Arthur Bowyer multi purpose also for £3, I think that compares favourably with garden centres.

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

Do Asda water thier plants?  Most Supermarkets don't they just torture plants. The Compost prices seem dear  Aldi do a multipurpose 40 litre for €1.49 in ireland  typically 75 litre bags are about €8 a bag or around €6 on a multibag deal 56 litre are usually around €6 The Smaller bags cost more below that size due to VAT being added, larger bags are 0 rated.

Not saying supermarkets are not good on price for somethings but a good garden centre will have better quality plants and can be competitive and knowledgable.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    They're not the only ones, Wilkinsons, Aldi, Lidl and a whole host of thrift stores have realised gardeners still spend money. It's just, like the rest of the country, we're having to be a little more careful where we spend it.
  • I ordered a load of stuff with my online shopping.  The only thing they had in stock were the big grow-bags.  So no potato growing sacks, no tomato food and whatever the other thing was (I was so surprised at all of the stuff they had I went a bit bananas).

If I see something in a Morrison's garden centre (they have that much they have a temporary building, like a big lockable steel shed), I go to the other Morrison's across town, as the other Morrisons is much better at remembering to water their plants every day, so they are much more likely to survive.  Have to bribe OH with a Morrison's breakfast though.  So I suppose it's not that cheap, when I have to add in petrol & food!!!

• The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 177

You can tell St Austell Asdas' new cleaner is gardener because all the plants in the foyer are now watered, before they were just left till alost dead and then reduced to 10p with an oops sticker on them.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

As a non-driver, I wish my local ADSA (just 5 min walk away) was doing the same as yours is, The Doctor!  Mine just has just 3/4 of one side of an aisle with the usual boring gardening stuff (weed n feed etc.)  I sometimes feel a little jealous when posters mention all of the bargain plants at Aldi and the like.  It obviously very much depends on what each store manager feels like stocking.   Still, I'm not often let down by mail order unlike some others here seem to have been, so it's a case of "swings and roundabouts" I suppose! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 177

Hi Brambull, 

The bark is excellent, my Asda as them on offer three bags for £10.

I expected it to be half as decent than it actually is that area took a bag and a half to cover.

Dan

• Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 30

Aldi are doing quite a bit of organic stuff this year, chicken manure and compost at really good prices.  Perhaps we shouldn't be seduced though unless we want the local garden centre to go the way of independent book shops and record shops (and butchers, bakers and candlestick makers).  The supermarkets are very effective at doing the "top twenty" but haven't got the space, expertise or interest for the million and one other things we all need that don't yield much profit. 

• I know you are right, Tall Paul, yet I can't resist the lure of cheap garden stuff. GCs will have to rise to the challenge and do cheap ranges too, I suspect, rather as Sainsburys and Tesco have fought off the cheap supermarkets by having their own low-price ranges.

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Yeah, I saw westland growbags for sale from westland for £9 online and the same size  & same brand on asda's site for £2