London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 42 messages
    06/03/2014 at 18:35

Spring means the start of photoshoot season for Gardeners' World Magazine and next week we are with Alan Titchmarsh, shooting content for 2015. For the first time, we'll be filming  as well as photographing our experts - and that's where you come in.

Have you a burning question you'd like to ask Alan? Post it here by Wednesday 12th March and we'll pick 10 for him to answer on camera. We'll share the results shortly.

Looking forward to reading your questions!

Thanks, Lucy

Editor, Gardeners' World Magazine

06/03/2014 at 18:41

One of my greatest joys is to go to my veg patch and pick fresh produce that will go straight into the kitchen, its a great feeling which never lessens.

Could you ask Alan what are the things that give him the greatest joy from gardening?

06/03/2014 at 18:50

Hey, that's a lovely question to get the ball rolling. Good idea, thanks.

06/03/2014 at 18:53

A burning question from Somerset would be..............what advice would Alan offer to those seriously flooded gardeners ?

What really would be the best way to start again ?  How would he deal with it ?

I've always thought Alan was a good basic gardener and it would be interesting to have his thoughts on this.  

06/03/2014 at 19:15

I'd really like to see him back on the Beeb with another How to be a Gardener type series that's of interest and relevance to both new and experienced gardeners.  It was thorough, varied, detailed, informative and fun.   Has he any plans for such a programme?  It could be on design, regional climate and soil variations, AGM plants, gardening for wildlife, water management (drought and flood), seasonal tasks and highlights.  Lots of possibilities.

Failing that, I'd like to ask him what shrubs he'd recommend for spring wow factor for those of us with fertile but alkaline gardens who cannot grow rhodos, camellias and azaleas.  They'd also  need to be very hardy for my garden.  H7 in the new RHS system. 

06/03/2014 at 19:40

I would like to know his all time favourite plant and garden to visit.

06/03/2014 at 21:31

I loved his "Secret Garden" book and have serious delphinium envy.  How does he get such a fantastic display ?  How close does he plant them, what does he feed them, does he replace or divide plants, and if so how often?  And any other top tips

06/03/2014 at 22:03

I enjoy the changing seasons, each one brings it's own special joy, Spring when plants are just awakening, Summer when everything seems lush and in bloom, Autumn is a time to harvest the fruit and veg of your labour, a time to witness leaves changing colour before winter arrives. Winter brings it's own special joy when birds are enticed into the garden to feed and bathe, the small time gardeners way of giving back to mother nature and 'peace de le resistance' against the decline in the bird population.

My Q for Alan would be what joys does he get and witness in the garden from the changing seasons?

06/03/2014 at 22:14

I'd like someone  to ask him " Would you like to take over from Monty Don and come back to Garderners' World? "

06/03/2014 at 22:17

Please Alan, Please say yes.

06/03/2014 at 22:18

I fully expect these postings to be removed by morning.

06/03/2014 at 23:09

I would like to ask him if he has any ideas for low maintenance,all year round plant pot displays for all aspects.

Don't get me wrong I love my tulips and crocuses at this time of year but it is a pain to empty,segregate and start over with the summer display. I recently purchased a big urn to brighten up a shady spot,I have some primulas,daffs and snowdrops in their at the moment. I think I will put a Japanese anemone and grass in here in summer,but once again I will have to swap. Am I being lazy or is there an easier way?

This next question isn't necessarily for Alan,but does anybody know how to get a plant named after someone without being the creative artist? My wife is ill and I think she would like it.

07/03/2014 at 08:05

cotty- buy a few plastic pots the same size which will fit inside your urn. Plant them up for different times of year (you already have your spring bulbs) and then just swap them around. Use old pots, bricks etc inside to bring the inner pot up to the same level as the top of the urn. 

I'd like to see Alan present any other gardening programme - he's been away too long!

My question would be -  in the wake of the flooding, and extreme weather we've experienced in the last few years,what advice would he give gardeners when making changes or choices in their gardens?

07/03/2014 at 09:11

My question to Alan would be: which 10 crops - 5 fruit 5 vegetables would you suggest as good beginner crops for first time young gardeners?

07/03/2014 at 09:30

What general feed regime works best around the garden for his experience?

I tend to add some liquid feed to all plants in general when I remember in spring, kind of forget about until summer and do ad hoc feeding until late August with mixed results.

KEF
07/03/2014 at 10:36

My question to Alan would be:

Are there any plants that you've wanted to grow and have had a total failure with?

07/03/2014 at 10:47

Alan,

As you might be aware gardeners in the UK (or at least on the GW forum) are volunteering to hand over plants, cuttings, and seeds, to fellow gardeners in the South whose gardens have been devastated by the recent prolonged floods. It might only be a small gesture in the grand scheme of things but you of all people must be able to empathise at how you would feel if your years of hard work in the garden were wiped out.

What plants would you suggest would be best for

a) instant dramatic effect

b) ability to survive in poor soil (water logged / flushed of nutrients / full of chemical poisons i.e. sewage / fuel )

c) ability to help improve the soil

d) can both spread quickly to fill the bare gaps BUT also survive happily in pots if the soil is too bad to plant in

07/03/2014 at 11:08

I'd like to ask Alan what particular aspect of gardening gives him the most satisfaction/enjoyment, and is there anything he dislikes doing (for instance, I hate mowing grass but love doing all the other stuff) 

07/03/2014 at 12:21

What is your best find/Treasure you have dug up in your garden?

I have found a spoon and this

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39054.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

Like it, but don't know what it is though

07/03/2014 at 20:24

cotty,

There is a flower site, possibly a rose one where you can get them named after someone special...for a small fee. I've tried googling for it but can't find the site. I wanted a flower called mum or dad and someone pointed me in the right direction, prehaps it wasn't on this forum as no one has responded to your Q. I was on an old GW type forum before it shut down, so it could have been there.

There are lots of roses through named after peoples first name   

1 to 20 of 42 messages