London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
3 messages
20/07/2013 at 15:07

Having  always watered my Azaleas  with collected rainwater , I have during this hot spell given them a wide berth when using tap water      (  with the hose pipe).  I then have gone back with collected rain water and given them a good soak.  

But after my latest visit to our nursery and seeing the watering being done with the hosepipe  I started thinking that we are advised when planting to use Ericacius compost and to water with rainwater.    But how come they use the hosepipe , with which I assume comes straight from the tap ?

So any that die on us customers  I ask myself " Is it realy our fault or are they slowly dyeing before we bring them home ? "

I have in the past bought Azaleas from the accident corner for a much reduced price and I have been un lucky - they die at the first hurdle , is this why ?

20/07/2013 at 15:45

It all depends on your water - is it hard or soft? If it is hard then rainwater is better. However tap water is better than no water.

Lyn
21/07/2013 at 22:49

My azaelias and pieris are doing fantastically well on our recycled soapy bathwater,  the peiris is shooting out its red leaves and every other ericaceus plant doing fine, i think they would rather have tap water than none at all, as privious post says.

email image
3 messages