Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

baby corn

Hi all its me again,can anyone explain the Baby corn we buy in sup/mar, i don't suppose its ordinair stuff so how is this one grown and can we do it ere as the price once again says the amount i eat i really ort to try to grow a good few, anyone out there 2nite Alan4711 oh and bye the way dove/soto the Shed Monster is still sleeping ,the sheds nice and warm and i,m ready 4im

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Alan, you can by sweetcorn seed specially bred to form lots of baby cobs (eg "minipop"), but all varieties can be picked while they are small and not yet pollinated (which is all baby corn really is.)  They do take up a lot of space though and you'll probably only get 3 or 4 baby cobs per plant.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    Cheers Bob im going to try those minipops ill come back and report results many thanks matey

Alan4711
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Alan you must harvest them as the tassels appear do not leave them like ordinary sweetcorn for the tassels to brown.  If you do the cobs will have started to swell and they are awful.  I get about 7-8 per plant and after my first bad year I've been very successful with them.

• Agree with MuddyFork.  Must pick early or they get too big and lose their sweet flavour.