Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bernie Bungs BBC Bosses

The Malaysian Grand Prix on BBC now 7.00 to 9.30

Not even the race, qualifying only, then again tomorrow.

what about gardens and gardening and gardeners, there are thousands more of us than those morons who like the brumm brumm of a noisy engine.

I think much more should be done for us, how about Coronation Street allotments, East Enders veg patch. Big Brothers cutting garden, Simon Cowell up to his elbows in muck.Get me out of here, a jungle garden special.

We get half an hour and a few repeats, we are poorly served and ignored, BBC be warned look what the French peasants achieved, of with their heads, or in this case the head of programming.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I think we have to look on they bright side ..... we can get out and do our hobby ourselves - even at this time in the morning - those who spend their lives glued to the GP can only watch others doing it and have to get their thrills vicariouslyimage

But, yes, get your point absolutely image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I'm watching the F1 right now, thing is the F1 one is BIG BUSINESS,  as in seriously huge, and plenty of people - us morons if you will, who want nothing more than to watch it (you'll be pleased to know the engines are much quieter this year).

Gardening?  There's no money in it, no one interested in doing huge programmes at great expense, the BBC had to expand their deadline looking for people wanting to participate in their Kitchen Garden challenge (I think it'll be similar to Great British Bakers) so low appeared to be the interest, hell their messages on Twitter were turning borderline desperate. 

Why not pass your rant directly on to the BBC. If enough people contact them and show interest they might actually do something about it.  Til then they'll just go with what they know works For the majority of the masses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/contact (Just in case you want to put your rant to good use rather than just moaning on here like a grumpy old git).

Your friendly moron x

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

Thanks Dove lovely day here and will be in garden shortly.

All winter we twiddle our thumbs.

I too watch  F1 on telly and at circuit,but I do find it annoying that we gardeners are always coming in last.

Gardening is also a big business, I bet the average TV viewer spends more on his garden than his F1 hobby.

If we gardeners spent nothing in the garden centres next week it would do more harm to the economy than if we did not watch a Grand Prix.

Rant over the weathers too good to be annoyed for to long.

Anyway F1 no way as good as it used to be, I liked the noise Mr C regards

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

The garden centres are all disjointed individual concerns, they need to come together in force and unity for them to make an impact. I'm sure they notice peaks of cash flow after good programmes on gardening but is it enough for THEM to act and commission / encourage programmes that are more than a one hit wonder?

I understand what your saying, I imagine many other forums based on hobbies say the same thing. The poor sewing devils get a few sewing bees offering little in terms of technical advice and are then forgotten about until next year.

Perhaps we ought put ourselves forward as places the BBC could start their new programmes on. I'd happily let them follow my gardens progression,  especially if they're any good with a shovel.

Glad to see you are also a moron, though us morons may be disappointed in performance today it really is not good weather there. Another wet practice.  How exciting. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I would just like to put another viewpoint.

F1 employs a lot of people, many of them in this country. designers , mechanics, pattern makers, aerodynamicists, wind tunnel experts. My OH has  earned quite a lot of money from the whims of certain F1 teams. It enables me to spend more time in the garden instead of slaving away on a hot till. There are winners and losers. If you don't like it, switch it off and go to Youtube and watch  Rick van man or the sainted Geoff Hamilton. I don't watch it. I'm going to plant my broad beans instead.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I am fortunate enough to have Sky tv, plenty of gardening progs going around in a loop, I can watch one a day.

The bbc put gardeners world on and loads of people slag off Monty Don.  I have even read on here that certain people wont be watching Chelsea this year because Monty is presenting, so if ratings go down for that, there will be another prog lost eventually.They cant win.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

The point I have made is that a minority hobby gets more coverage than gardening which is the most popular hobby in the UK.

I too have earned a lot of money from the motor industry, but that is irrelevant.

The BBC is funded by the licence fee, it should not pander to big business but cater for the licence fee payer.

My personal experience is that motor racing is a giant corporate jolly.

We digress it is a fact Gardening is a low cost majority hobby and the BBC does not serve it well, I am sure you agree. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I have never seen the point of watching people race round a circuit either in a car, on a bike or on foot.  Waste of time.   However, F1 creates a great deal of high end employment and is a source of invention in the UK so I suppose it's fortunate that people are ready to spend hours vegging on the sofa to see it whilst absorbing all that advertising.

I would suggest that the horticulture industry employs even greater numbers from the lowliest unskilled serving staff in the big organised chains of garden centres to the highly skilled nurserymen and women running their own plant sale centres and on to industries making and inventing everything from garden fencing to furniture, tools, fertilisers, composts, pots, seed trays, obelisks, ornaments, paving materials and decking, rocks, gravels and sand and all the other paraphernalia.  Let us not forget either the seed companies who employ more people to plant, nurture, collect, sort and pack what we sow every spring, or the bulb companies.

F1 may be sexier for advertisers and therefore attract more money for TV but I rather think there's more actual gross domestic product and employment tied up in all the many and varied aspects of horticulture.  All that and good for the soul and the environment too.   What's not to like?

During the war there was a Dig For Victory campaign that saw allotment holdings multiply and the nation's health improve as people ate more veggies than ever before as a proportion of the national diet.   Modern health is deteriorating at an alarming rate as people consume excess quantities of sugars, transfats, refined carbs and processed food full of chemicals.  The TV companies would do well to tap into the need to educate people on how to grow and prepare their own healthy food and make more people understand the joys and benefits of growing your own.  Good for the economy too as Britian is once again reliant on far too high a proportion of imports to provide its daily food.

The Great British Bake Off had huge audiences and has brought about a resurgence in home baking.  Gardening for pleasure, health and fresh food and flowers is ripe for just such a resurgence and would get it with a good format and presenters.  The Allotment challenge the Beeb has launched is too restrictiven too demanding and requires people to run an artificial plot away from home.  Never going to work and probably even worse in concept than the Great British Sewing Bee.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato