London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
41 to 60 of 72 messages
31/05/2013 at 10:19

Another vote for the New Horizon veg compost.

01/06/2013 at 11:20

@tootles.. i have been using murphys for last few weeks now.. as westlands was to fibrous.. i have had 3 muschrroms coome up i noticed.. just put it down to the watering.. from the butt...

but i will be keeping an eye on it.. maybe take a picture and take in to plce you bought them from and complain..

as said onhere maybe if we all did this everytime it will stop the cheap rubbish we are getting.

01/06/2013 at 11:27

i've just bought 3 bags of Murphy's...

I will keep a strict eye on it and I'll take it back if I have problems. Compost's expensive no matter how well off you are and it should do what it's supposed to. The quality is definitely not there this year.

01/06/2013 at 21:33
John Harding wrote (see)

Hi again all, as requested I have uploaded some pics of my garden to the garden gallery 2013. I've had to reduce the file sizes considerably as they wouldn't load at first try. I hope they will open. Regards, John H

I looked at those yeaterday, very nice indeed.

18/06/2013 at 21:39

I decided i needed another raised bed for my corgettes and squash in the veg patch. 

Consequently i needed to fill it with 150L of something, so thought i'd mix some MPC and grow bag compost in it. Happened to be in B&Q, and saw some opened (someone else had poked a hole) large bags of Verve MPC. I have to say it looked quite nice, so i bought a 125L bag for about £5.79. Have to say when i opened my bag and started to fill the bed, i was quite impressed, way better than the last lot of JAB stuff i bought. 

19/06/2013 at 01:17

I recently picked up some bags of JAB which I have been impressed with in previous years. However when opening the bags it contains the worst compost I've ever seen. And it smells awful. I'm not even sure it's worthy of spreading on my borders. 

19/06/2013 at 03:37

19/06/2013 at 09:09

I agree that JAB doesn't look good this year when the bag is opened (I haven't noticed an odour!). I've used JAB for many years and bought some earlier this of their growbags this year though I have changed to Westlands for MPC. At the end of the day it is the results that count and I have to say the tomatoes in my greenhouse are doing really well in the JAB. I have 2 types of growbag in use: 1 is a "GroSure Tomato Planter" t'other 2 are JAB and all the plants are very healthy. I haven't started feeding them yet so all they've had is water + whatever nutrients are in the growbags. I also hose the floor down every day to keep the atmosphere in the GH humid as well as ventilated. I noted yesterday that some of the toms have set so feed is imminent now. Pics follow...

1st is GroSure Tomato Planter with 2 x 'Apero' (cordon) & 1 'Red Alert' (bush type) in Middle

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25790.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

Below is JAB with 2 x 'Red Alert' + 1 'Apero' in middle

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25791.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

Just inside the doors either side are 2 Chilli plants also in flower at present in John Innes No 2. The Toms on the right (pic 1) are also in JAB - these 3 are 'Country Taste'

19/06/2013 at 09:13

I bought some Notcutts own brand earlier this year which has been fine and things are growing well in it, particularly the toms.  

More recently I bought some Levingtons with John Innes - this too I was perfectly happy with the look and feel of, although it's a little early to say how things are growing.

19/06/2013 at 10:04

Have just emptied the compost out of the tray of the Norfolk County wormery which I am baby-sitting; very sticky, rich stuff, have mixed with my own compost and perlite to open it up a bit and have planted some toms in it. I am hoping it will get them going.

19/06/2013 at 11:58

JAB with added JI is better than plain JAB which is very poor this year.

19/06/2013 at 13:04
Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

JAB with added JI is better than plain JAB which is very poor this year.

True. Ive had to mix my JAB with other compost, just to make it useable.

21/06/2013 at 00:42

I recently found an independant garden centre near me that I didn't know about, was a very well-kept secret, but bought some bags of 'Clover' MPC from there, three 70l bags for £10.  Lovely stuff, will be going back for some more at some point very soon.  They actually had a bag of it open so you can see what you're getting.  Wonderful dark stuff, well rotted down and a great open texture, everything I've potted on seems to like it.

Won't be buying Verve any time soon, last year it was rubbish - quite literally, big unrotted chunks of chipped wood in there, bits of plastic, nails, glass, you name it, it was in there.

21/06/2013 at 06:34

ping

21/06/2013 at 07:43

little a, am intrigued; why the 'pings'?

21/06/2013 at 07:47

I bought some Vitax 70L bags from a local GC last week and the smell when opening it was horrible, it smelt like raw sewage, in it there was some questionable lumps which broke up like it should but it was a completely different color (toilet brown?) to the rest of the compost.

Is it ok to use when it smells like it does? I emptied the majority of the bag into a trellis planter i had just made.

21/06/2013 at 08:19

Sainsburys are doing 2 x 50lt for £6, has anyone tried it? was planning buying some to fill up my raised beds.

21/06/2013 at 08:41
artjak wrote (see)

little a, am intrigued; why the 'pings'?

Same as 'bump' - we've had a load of Spam again this morning - posting anything on here moves it up above the spam so it doesn't get lost down the page. 

21/06/2013 at 11:57

John i noticed you have a hoselock tomato waterer thingy.. How do you find it? We got a couple for my grandad as he can forget to water stuff due to his altzeimers. His seem to be doing well (from the plants i grew him).

21/06/2013 at 12:07

Ah, now I understand pings

41 to 60 of 72 messages