London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
12 messages
22/10/2013 at 17:39

Hello,

I feel so stupid, but today while checking my bank account, I found a two £10 direct debits that I didn't recognise. Of course I contacted my bank immediately, but while I was talking to them, I realised that I had bought something from Argos six weeks ago and at the end of that transaction, a company (shopper discounts and rewards) said I could claim a £15 voucher off my next online purchase with Argos. I must have agreed something with them.

I contacted them and they cancelled my 'membership' with them with no quibbles and thankfully I check my account regularly and haven't lost much.

Okay, many may say, SO you DIDN'T read the small print, but it seems I'm not alone, heres an articule written in the Guardian ---- http://bit.ly/1a4ST0i

Just be aware and careful, they work with companies like Argos and B&Q. I aslo contacted Argos to say this could damage their reputation and got a lovely telephone call from them.

I feel stupid, but if anyone can learn from my mistake, all the better.

22/10/2013 at 18:26

Don't feel stupid Tina I am.  

I was almost caught out.  Because it is Argos we naturally assume it is above reproach etc so,when they advertise this discount we think  it's going to be a discount from them.  Never "something for nothing " is my motto.  Beware free gifts...there aren't any

However. Well done Tina to make everyone aware.

KEF
22/10/2013 at 19:05

Noted Tina

22/10/2013 at 19:31

I'm very cynical about all companies nowadays which saddens me. I think so many of them rely on people simply not checking receipts /statements etc and they get away with murder. They just hope you'll not bother, or they fob you off  in the hope that you'll get fed up. 

Glad you got a good result Tina 

22/10/2013 at 20:00

Thanks all.

They refunded me one of my £10, but I've complained to them and asked for the other..."Shy bairns get nowt," and all that.

Trying to raise a little awareness and turn something positive out of the situation.

23/10/2013 at 00:55

Interflora is another one.

23/10/2013 at 11:54

..thank you for alerting us Tina...something to watch out for... we've just found out that our gas account has been transferred to another supplier without our knowledge... going to take weeks to sort out... we've no idea how it happened... so something underhand has occurred here, or just human error, hopefully...

24/10/2013 at 11:01

Small victory, got both £10 back after a few emails from me.

24/10/2013 at 13:33

The other one to watch is theIdeal home shopping channel. My dad ordered a pressure washer. They enrolled him in a club, and sent him a book of useless vouchers. He didn't read the small print and just tossed them to one side. He was charged £50 for his annual subscription for the club after 90 days.  By the time it appeared on the credit card statement it was past the 90 days he had to cancel, so they wouldn't refund his money. 

After several  useless time wasting phone calls, and letters, he eventually got the money back from the credit card company, as he had given no authorisation for this debit, even though the club said he had.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/crusader/340722/TV-shoppers-chance-to-shine

hes not the only one caught with this con. It would have been cheaper to get it from B & Q

24/10/2013 at 13:51

These companies are despicable fidget. You'd need the Hubble telescope to read the small print on these statements etc. I feel sorry for people paying by debit card -which is basically cash after all - as you don't have any recourse. I pay for everything by credit card and take the cashback and rewards.

Salino- they usually just blame the 'system'. Never the idiot who's operating it though. Hope you get that resolved.

Well done Tina! When I had issues with a utility company I was with until I moved here abt 7 months ago, they were a nightmare to deal with. They claimed I owed them £60 - which I didn't. They threatened me with court and if I'd been less 'able' I might have rolled over and paid them. They actually owed me money. It went on for 5 months and I'm not done with them yet.

24/10/2013 at 14:07

well done Tina.. i remember see that advert when i shopped at argos online.. i nearly did it.. but noticed it.. it is a bit like woucher.. u have to pay a subscritpion.. which we are not made aware of on the ads.

24/10/2013 at 14:09

Girls i work with are saying watch B&M stores they put a cheap item on your bill say £1.99 or £2.99 as most people don't look at their receipt.

email image
12 messages