London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
2 messages
16/08/2013 at 00:10

Oh how lovely, I wish the birds would come back to my garden. I have plenty of food, differant types for the differant birds, I have a feeding table, I have food in a bowl on the ground and water (ground feeders) and then I have astand that you hang things on, I have chopped peanuts in one, suet feeds,in another grain in the other water in a round one and some food in a round one on the stand. I have water near where the blackbirds came from next door. I am sure it must be the cats, I have tried all sorts even one of them alarm things, lemon, tin foil, some one has told me to put garlic powder down but I am not sure. The only bird that comes down is a wood pigeon.

16/08/2013 at 16:01

Hi Smokin Donkey and Audrie, what a lovely conversation, I enjoyed reading it.Smokin is right about waiting. I had a pergola erected in April 2010 after much thought as it faces northwest and does not get much sun in winter. I was reluctant to have one as I thought that apart from the plants affecting the light in the winter, I would find it difficult to find the right plants that would thrive there. Now I wish I had done it years ago, as my main aim was to attract small birds as they were not getting a look in on the bird table and bath.

The plants grew well but the three bird feeders only attracted squirrels! Not even in the bitter winter that we have had recently. But after one year, gradually the little birds that I wanted to attract(tits, finches etc.) started appearing.This year we have had them all  squabbling for alook in and queing for the bath(a large  ceramic dish on the patio.) They have no problem with me sitting inches away from them. The patience paid off I think, and they wanted to feel secure and get used to the situation. So please don't give up, they will give you immense pleasure, as Smokin says.

email image
2 messages