London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
5 messages
29/08/2013 at 15:37
Hi all ,Right i have or will have a long garden side which we want to put up a lattice type fence and espelair to grow a bramley apple,simply for pies, i will stake the growing wires and posts in front of the fence as if all in one to look ok, now what i need to know is has anybody grown any good cooking apples this way ( i think its called espelair) i can allow the tree to grow about 7 feet high ish by 15 feet ish joining with another tree were getting and the figs (weve already got) all in a line should look ok for us and passers bye, ( no neighbors ) on that side. which apple and root stock please, Alan
29/08/2013 at 16:02

Rootstock M26 or MM106 can be put in spaces of this size. However, Bramleys are what is known as partial tip bearers, that is some of the fruits are produced at the ends of the stems and some along the length. Espalier is not the best form for them as you are always having to trim them and so lose some of the potential fruit.

29/08/2013 at 17:20
wot about a fan trained then which i prefer anyway Water
29/08/2013 at 18:19

I've never tried a fan trained tree, but it sounds as if it would need the same pruning regime as an espalier in that you are trying to make the tree form a shape that it would not normally want to make and you are limiting its growth by pruning bits and pieces off it. The Bramley is a handsome tree but it is one of the more vigorous apples and I have the feeling that the two of you would forever be locked in a battle of wills.

Maybe there is someone here who has had  a Bramley and has grown it in a restricted form?

29/08/2013 at 19:33
Cheers Waterbutts manyovem
email image
5 messages