London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
5 messages
08/11/2012 at 16:04

Can anyone tell me whether 'Brown Gold' soil enricher is the same thing as a Loam based cuttings compost?  Also, is it the right time of year to prune back my Red Robins and propogate the cuttings?  Thanks

08/11/2012 at 16:33

In theory no. In practice, who knows what manufacturers put in those bags. I've had bits of brick, plastic and large lumps of wood in bags of compost. 

Sorry, no good at cuttings.

08/11/2012 at 16:51

I don't know Brown Gold and the information on the web is very confusing, however it doesn't sound like loam-based cuttings compost.  I use John Innes loam-based seed compost for seeds and cuttings.  

As for your Photinia Red Robin, I would say it's too late for cuttings now - you'll find advice on pruning and propagation here http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=145

08/11/2012 at 17:01

Red Robin 2

-I guess you are not in the UK -In Eire perhaps?

-A soil enricher is what it says- just bagged commercial compost-the same as you would get from a compost bin/heap-probably low in nutrient but good as a soil conditioner

09/11/2012 at 12:28

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll return the 'Brown Gold'...I think my husband was fobbed off with whatever they had rather than what he asked for. Typical!  And yes sotongeoff I do live in Ireland. (Orignally from Manchester I must add.)

email image
5 messages