Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

bubble wrap

Morning all ,can anyone who has actually done it give me advice on insulating the green house,I see on the net it says double sided bubble is required at twice the price, I dont know anyone here yet to ask if they have done it, im up on the clips  off the web but the difference in price is about £15 or £40 for a kit , so double or not seems to be the question,any advice please then i can order the stuff the G/H is a  8x6, not looking forward to emptying the green house suppose id better clean and sulpher candle it ,hope this is correct,right any help please is good,many thanks

Alanimage

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Alan over many years I tried keeping a greenhouse frost free in winter and spent a lot of money, none of it was worth it as insulation brings condensation and that is as bad as frost for plants. heaters came and went costly and more condensation, I gave up for a year or so until I moved yet again and built a wall mounted south facing greenhouse. It never went below freezing because of the wall taking in heat during the day and giving it back at night even in dull weather. Ok you do not have that I built a small tent of bubble wrap at one end and some shelves I could remove in spring and put all the tender plants in there with a frost guard fan heater and done that for the last twenty odd years it works. You have to consider what you are paying in wrap and heating against what it would cost to replace the plants and you need to be able to open and air the green house every day there is no frost or bitter wind, that is important. It is what you can afford really and any heating is expensive, bubble wrap will help but is not a guarantee against loss. Most plants are much tougher than we think, but overwatering and condensation can kill them.

I do not use smokes but move everything out and pressure wash all in one go preferably whilst it is still warm enough to not harm the plants. Frost Guard fan heaters are the answer if like me you have electricity to the greenhouse.

Frank.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Thanks for that Frank well worth knowing ,Cheers Alan

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I bubble wrapped one of mine about 3 years ago, you do need the spacers as shown on Beechgrove last weekend, then leave your window open a notch.

I bought a big roll of wrap from Ebay, I think it comes undr the heading, Packaging, then bought the clips, you need 3 different types but they are not expensive. It will save your electric a bit if you chose a heater, I have never had one.

You could just get a small plastic type greenhouse and put it inside youf glass one, just for real tenders, but leave the zips open during the day.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.