London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
21 to 40 of 65 messages
26/11/2013 at 09:52

We found an old water barrow buried in the undergrowth - its now used for plants.  Similarly an old metal container used for storing Walls ice cream choc ices - also now planted up.  OH complains that if he leaves anything lieing around for more than a fortnight he comes back to find something planted in it !

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34527.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34528.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

26/11/2013 at 09:58

The bottom of my garden was a "dump" for the old now long gone big house. We find old poison bottles, ginger ale bottles and sadly pieces of amazing emerald green pottery ( I would live to find bigger bits as it is stunning) my neighbour found a necklace which when cleaned up and taken to some one "he knows" was told it was dated to 1890's and worth £500 he promptly sold it and bought. Rotavator which now sits rotting!!!! I have a few fab earthen ware ginger beer bottles that make wonderful bud vases!!!! My parents garden is a treasure trove of things. It is one of x 5 houses that were built on land owned by someone called feuster. He owned a nursery spread over many acres growing and developing plants. My parents have dug up old tools and plant pots and even stone troughs.... One of the pots has capability written on it. I explained to my mum who capability brown is/was and she kept it. Now anything in that pot thrives!!!!!!! 

26/11/2013 at 10:33

My home is built on the site of an old Victorian smithy and while I was extending a flower bed my shovel also went clang, gleefully I rubbed my hands together, expecting to unearth some nice Yorkstone slabs. Only to uncover a path made up of those ugly grey council type concrete slabs. bah.....  

26/11/2013 at 11:21

I grew up next door to a very old Church. Having learnt that the un-baptised / sinners of the world were often buried beside the Church yard as they weren't allowed inside it has always disappointed me that we never found more than a solitary penny on the land that before our house was built had always been fields.

During tidying up the current houses garden (1990s build) I found a three tier fountain that the landlord had forgotten was there (it still worked!) and remains of a rockery that had long since sunk. What has always worried me however was once I pulled the thick layers of blanket weed off (no chemicals here thank you) the flower beds stayed completely weed free (14 months and counting) ever since (despite the birds doing their best to flick seed everywhere).

26/11/2013 at 11:35

17 tennis balls, 5 bouncy rubber balls, 1 small knife, and four kilograms of broken glass

26/11/2013 at 14:52

I just remembered getting 'Roman' coins from museum shops as a kid and burying those in my back garden (too much TimeTeam). They must still be there. I wonder if someone will find them and think that they uncovered real Roman coins.

26/11/2013 at 16:32

someone recently unearthed a WW2 bomb in a garden round the corner....safely disposed of

when I was a kid our house was built in what had been the grounds of an Elizabethan manor. Presumably, we were where the stables had been as we were always digging up horseshoes. We put one above the door for luck - does anyone else do that?

Sadly, nothing more exciting than builder's rubble has been yielded by my current garden so far 

26/11/2013 at 17:50

Dove - I gave the bubble car to my OH as that was the first car he bought (long before I met him) and he keeps  it on the shelf in his office.  It is not in pristine condition having been underground, so I don't think it will be worth very much.  I often think of the little boy who lost it .

26/11/2013 at 17:57

Isn't it amazing how we feel we have a connection with the people who lost the things we found, whereas we wouldn't feel the same if we bought the object in a secondhand shop. 

26/11/2013 at 17:59

Just as a foot note to my Elizabethan coin: I didn't actually dig this coin up from my garden, it was found amongst gravel on a gravel path. I bought this gravel around 1965 and know for sure that it was from a quarry located Nr Mansfield, Notts.

26/11/2013 at 18:04

Mansfield is famous for its sand quarries. The Bunter sandstone yields a red sand that is good for moulding for cast iron etc. Hardwick hall has its own quarry that still has stone cut from it for the repair of the Hall. Maybe it came from there.

26/11/2013 at 18:27

Thanks, Fidget - The reason I know for sure where the gravel came from, was because the friend who got it for me used to be an engineer for the makers of earth moving diggers Ruston-Bucyrus and it was he acquired it for me whilst working at the quarry. 

26/11/2013 at 18:53

Do you know which quarry?

26/11/2013 at 19:26
fidgetbones wrote (see)

Do you know which quarry?

Ah...now there's a question! All I know is (it was a very long time ago) very near to their home in Forest Town.

26/11/2013 at 21:16

Mums garden was once the garden of a pair of old farm workers cottages,we have found a couple of horseshoes and several clay pipes.Like to think of old gardeners sitting under a tree having a smoke,whilst enjoying their garden.

26/11/2013 at 23:22

My grandparents lived in forest town. My cousin still lives there. The nearest  quarries are berry hill, but they are sand.

27/11/2013 at 08:43
fidgetbones wrote (see)

My grandparents lived in forest town. My cousin still lives there. The nearest  quarries are berry hill, but they are sand.

As I recall, my engineer friend used to travel the length & breadth of the UK to attend his heavy plant machinery. But on this occasion, I do recall that he was working from home.

27/11/2013 at 09:15

What colour is the gravel or stone?

27/11/2013 at 09:25

Feeling like I'm taking part in a Poirot episode  I think it was called pea-gravel.....like wot you make concrete with. 

Hercule

27/11/2013 at 09:35

We live in an old farmhouse built in about 1770 and our garden is former cow pasture.  We've found old tiles, horse shoes, bits of crockery and unearthed huge slabs and chunky pavers from old buildings.   Some still surface when I go to clear or replant beds near the house.

The most "interesting" find was a land mine when we we were having the ground prepared for sowing a lawn and making the terrace 16 years ago.   That involved a lot of police and bomb disposal people but they didn't sweep the ground for any more so we don't do deep digging.

21 to 40 of 65 messages