Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buried Treasure!

Since i began to make my new borders, Ive discovered some interesting artifacts!

my favourite, is a tiny little perfectly formed glass jar, which has an almost pinkish hue to it. There is no screw top for a lid, so assuming it was corked? its about 1.5'' tall, maybe the same diameter. Ive also found lots of pieces of broken up ceramic with a very old looking blue & white pattern on, and ribbed back. The house i live in was only built in the late 60s so guessing they cant be  that old really?

anyone else found anything exciting while digging?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Depends what was on the site before your house was built. Years ago, before council tips, people used to just dig a very big hole in the ground, fill it up then dig another. I found a whole bottle bank in my old house, but was told thats what they did back then. The little bottle is probably a perfume bottle, its probably got a little tiny glass stopper but whether you could find it!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• It was all just greenfield, so you are probably right! i love the idea of little bits of history under my feet!

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I found a bubble car in my allotment (dinky toy size) slightly tatty but we kept it as my husbands first car was a bubble car. 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Verdunimage

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,658

Verdun tsk tsk, image

• lol.... beats my quirky glass jar hands down!

• This topic has been raised before and as I said then, I had found a Elizabeth 1st coin dated 1562 in some gravel I have had since the mid-sixties....I have pics, but I've already shown them before and would hate to bore peeps with them.   image

• Clay pipes in abundance which apparently have NO antique value whatsoever. In fact archaeology types say you're meant to re bury them for other people to find !