Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Bit of a dilema here. Was hoping to order a rasied pond from Woodblocx but they dont do a 3ft width (want a 6 x 3 x 2) so I'm unfortunatly back to square one. I've looked at some pre built sites but the finished product looks cheap and not something I want to look at.

I'm a bit cautious of making one from scratch. You see I quite like the look of stone ones but they look an awful lot of work. I also don't like the idea of making one with no experience.

Advice, and links to sites that sell the size I require would be much apprechiated

I'd make a stone one - its really easy. I've just built myself 2.5m x 4m one and I'M A GIRL!! Mine was complicated because a) I wanted an irregular shape, b) its big, so needed an interior breezeblock retaining wall first, c) I wanted dry stone walling around it with stone capping and d) I had loads of old rough limestone I wanted to use, but this did not come in anywhere near uniform shapes and sizes. If you're after a rectangle and don't need double thickness walls, I'd get some stone and go at it. I dug a trench of about 5 inches deep and 4 inches wider than my total wall thickness, then filled with readymix concrete. Gave it a few days to go off. Then squished some mortar on top and started building. The breezeblocks were a doddle, being uniform, and the whole lot took me about half a day. Btw, I used readymix mortar from B&Q, but subsituted some of the water for liquid latex (from builder's merchant) just to give it a bit of extra frost/water-proofing. Its the stuff they add to render for the same reason. Makes the mortar stickier, so easier for a novice to use as well. Easy peasy. Putting a wider stone slab (eg. the foot square ones) on top as a coping works well, and it hides the edge of your liner if you overhang in by an inch or so.. Honestly, my boys' lego is more complicated. I honestly think anyone can be a brickie if they're only doing low walls - its staying true going upwards thats the tricky bit!

Yeah, although my blocks aren't nearly so regular! You can put all sorts of plants into the holes, especially if you've deliberately left little soil-filled 'pockets' as u've gone. Many sedums like it, as do some houseleeks, assuming its sunny. If not, then harts-tongue ferns, mini ivies, trailing perennial campanulas and alchemilla all thrive in my walls. Various alpines like it too, tho not generally in shade. Honest, its a doddle. Get ur finger out and BE BRAVE! Use a rigid liner and its even easier..

Simon McBride

Hi i can understand your situation, over this year i have been terracing my garden and wanted a pond so last month i incorporated a block pond (2 blocks high 2ft X 4 blocks about 5-6ft long and 2.5 block wide.

It was very easy to do and then lined with pond liner, and topped with decking board, last weekend i decided to add a water fall and over the long weekend and with a few tweeks managed to get all working.

The wildlife love it and with the use of freecycle i even managed to get a load of free plants and lillies for instant impact.