London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
7 messages
11/07/2013 at 00:37

Bit of a dilema here. Was hoping to order a rasied pond from Woodblocx but they dont do a 3ft width (want a 6 x 3 x 2) so I'm unfortunatly back to square one. I've looked at some pre built sites but the finished product looks cheap and not something I want to look at.

I'm a bit cautious of making one from scratch. You see I quite like the look of stone ones but they look an awful lot of work. I also don't like the idea of making one with no experience.

Advice, and links to sites that sell the size I require would be much apprechiated

11/07/2013 at 00:48

I hadn't heard of Woodblocx before, so I just had a look at their site - it seems an amazingly expensive way to build a pond to me (although we are doing our best to build ours on the cheap, I must admit) bearing in mind that you still have to buy a pond liner etc. Do you know any local craftspeople who could build a stone surround for you? 

11/07/2013 at 19:19

I'd make a stone one - its really easy. I've just built myself 2.5m x 4m one and I'M A GIRL!! Mine was complicated because a) I wanted an irregular shape, b) its big, so needed an interior breezeblock retaining wall first, c) I wanted dry stone walling around it with stone capping and d) I had loads of old rough limestone I wanted to use, but this did not come in anywhere near uniform shapes and sizes. If you're after a rectangle and don't need double thickness walls, I'd get some stone and go at it. I dug a trench of about 5 inches deep and 4 inches wider than my total wall thickness, then filled with readymix concrete. Gave it a few days to go off. Then squished some mortar on top and started building. The breezeblocks were a doddle, being uniform, and the whole lot took me about half a day. Btw, I used readymix mortar from B&Q, but subsituted some of the water for liquid latex (from builder's merchant) just to give it a bit of extra frost/water-proofing. Its the stuff they add to render for the same reason. Makes the mortar stickier, so easier for a novice to use as well. Easy peasy. Putting a wider stone slab (eg. the foot square ones) on top as a coping works well, and it hides the edge of your liner if you overhang in by an inch or so.. Honestly, my boys' lego is more complicated. I honestly think anyone can be a brickie if they're only doing low walls - its staying true going upwards thats the tricky bit!

11/07/2013 at 21:35

HOW MUCH !!!! 

11/07/2013 at 22:54

Thats given me some faith. Thanks betty! I'll definatly look into that. I'm after a simple rectangle shape.

Is this what you ment by drystone walling? http://www.rjmullins.com/images/COTSWOLD_DRY_STONE_WALL_BUILDING.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if its possible to add succulents in the holes? Likely not haha

16/07/2013 at 11:19

Yeah, although my blocks aren't nearly so regular! You can put all sorts of plants into the holes, especially if you've deliberately left little soil-filled 'pockets' as u've gone. Many sedums like it, as do some houseleeks, assuming its sunny. If not, then harts-tongue ferns, mini ivies, trailing perennial campanulas and alchemilla all thrive in my walls. Various alpines like it too, tho not generally in shade. Honest, its a doddle. Get ur finger out and BE BRAVE! Use a rigid liner and its even easier..

16/07/2013 at 12:14

Hi i can understand your situation, over this year i have been terracing my garden and wanted a pond so last month i incorporated a block pond (2 blocks high 2ft X 4 blocks about 5-6ft long and 2.5 block wide.

It was very easy to do and then lined with pond liner, and topped with decking board, last weekend i decided to add a water fall and over the long weekend and with a few tweeks managed to get all working.

The wildlife love it and with the use of freecycle i even managed to get a load of free plants and lillies for instant impact.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/garden-pond-and-waterfall-frog-invasion/87275.html

email image
7 messages