Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

CAn anyone name this plant for me please

Hi eveyone.. i got this plant from seeds i was given... it is now 2 years old and first flower.. thou only 10ins tall.. and i recall being told grew taller.. but maybe when older..i have lost the label to it and i cant find the name in my book either.. wondered if u could all help me please.. image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Acanthus, dont know which one tho image
  • gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

ooow thank u i can look up now.. it is beautiful flower.. any idesa on its fave place to be .. image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Anywhere it likes to be. If you move it , you will have two, one from the bit of root you left behind, and one from the plant you moved. I think it is A. mollis, the leaves don't look spiky enough for A. spinosus.

• Stacey DochertyStacey Docherty Posts: 1,759

Acanthus bears britches for sure.  I have several and they are great... i have one in dappled shade that is 7 ft tall atm

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Looks like your plant has found a home on its own!

• I'm glad I saw this post.   I've got a few Acanthus Mollis and I always forget what they are called.   It's one of those plants that is pretty insignificant until it throws up it's massive flower spires in the late summer and when I'm asked what it is I've always resorted to saying "erm, erm".  

One of mine had a nest of 4 hedgehogs under it this year.   Possibly highly attracted by the ready to go meals of slugs and snails which seem to thrive on the lower leaves of this plant.