Start a new thread

21 to 26 of 26 replies

blackest

Artjak I know exactly how you feel as regards instructions I spent 3 days building 1 that was supposed to be done in a couple of hours. 

After a small amount of blood and cryptic instructions that somehow had got the diagrams mislabeled and misplaced.  in the end although it was fairly functional once it was assembled, it just got used for a little potting up and plant rescue.   

It was to be a display model,( I used to live in a gardencentre)  but with the horrid build instructions we never stocked it.

The window also got bent in the wind, it was mostly extruded aluminium and fairly light weight plastic glazing. We used to get a lot of enquiries about it, but we said it wasn't worth buying.  

What ever greenhouse you do go for, try and find customer reviews. Greenhouses can be right ..@~#.. 

I can definitely recommend them.

I BOUGHT A SWALLOW GREENHOUSE LAST BACK END  10.6 X 8.6 10 A WOOD ONE £1700.00 A DAMN GOOD DEAL. I JUST WISHED I BOUGHT A LARGER ONE. NOW I AM CONSIDERING BUYING ANOTHER ONE .BEST TO GO DIRECT TO THE MAKER THAT IS WHAT I DID YOU WILL GET A BETTER DEAL. GOOD LUCK.

SWOLLOW GREENHOUSE

ROTHERHAM

I realise this is an old thread but I know people still read it so I wanted to add my thoughts. When I looked for one for my mum I was pretty unimpressed by most on offer. They seemed really flimsy and the glass never seemed to be totally secure in the frame which made me nervous because her garden experiences some pretty dramatic wind. I also don't think most greenhouses look good, they can detract from your garden. Normally people hide them away around a corner or behind some screening but that wasn't going to work in my mum's garden.  I did lots of research online and there are a few companies who are using some modern technologies to bring greenhouses into the present. I ended up using https://www.cultivar.com/. They're materials are modern and it feels like high-quality double glazing so everything is 100% securely fixed - no rattling or weird fixings that can wear and bend out of shape. I think the unit looks lovely and my mum has actually buildt a little patio in front of it that she uses as her GnT area as it is a feature of the garden, not an ugly thing to hide away. 

Sandra100

I've just bought one and had it installed last week.

It's a Halls 8x6 from the Greenhouse People with horticultural glass, staging, 1 louvred vent and down pipe for a water butt.  I had to go for the cheapest as didn't have a massive budget.

I paid £200 to have it installed by a very experienced greenhouse fitter.  He was fantastic and did it in 4.5 hours.  After attempting to put up a 2nd hand one that took nearly a day to take down, and failing miserably (no instructions nor photos) it was £200 well spent.

It's on a paved base as that's what I had to work with.

Got to say very happy with Greenhouse people, delivered as stated, not needed any after-sales service as everything was as it should have been.

Been busily sewing seeds all week, a very happy bunny!! 

Advertisement

LeadFarmer

I bought a 8 x' 6' Hercules Blenhiem greenhouse with toughened glass back in 2009 from thegreenhousepeople, and it has stood up to all that the weather can throw at it. 

i would advise buying the biggest greenhouse you can afford, with toughened glass, flush threshold, wide entrance door, high eaves  and automatic vents.

Here's a photo taken not long after I erected it..

But its currently being used as an overflow wood store for my firewood.

Last edited: 07 March 2017 23:53:00