London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
5 messages
14/10/2012 at 14:08

I always keep the stakes to reuse next year. But is this a good idea?  Every year my tomatoes get Blight. And what about the containers I grow the tomatoes in? I always  wash these out before storing. Thanks for advice. Maggie

14/10/2012 at 15:09

I believe that this virus requires a living host to survive, and is also killed by frost.

One way that it can survive through the Winter is in infected potato tubers left undergound. That's why it's important to thoroughly remove all potato tubers from an infected area.

14/10/2012 at 19:35

I use my stakes every year. Some years the tomatoes get blight and some years they don't. I think it depends on the weather.

15/10/2012 at 12:51

However, as you have blight every year, it might be a good idea to start again with clean everything, just in case it is harboured around soomething?  It is a virus, and indeed does die off in the cold, but maybe it is worth investing in new pots, compost & sticks - what harm can it do, and it might just result in a gorgeous crop of tomatoes - who knows? 

15/10/2012 at 17:29

Thanks for your replies.  I always store everything in the garage overwinter. The pots were new this year so this time I will give the pots a wash with Jeyes Fluid and store them outside. The stakes I will throw away as they are old. And the compost is always new. Thanks again.  Maggie

email image
5 messages