Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I store Charlotte potatoes?

I would like to dig up and store my Charlotte potatoes. Will they be ok in sacks or will they go soft? A neighbour says not to store. Any advice welcome!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've stored charlotte in paper sacks right over the winter. Keep them somewhere cool and dark.

Devon.
  • I've never tried to store 'Charlotte' as it's a second early.  (unless I'm wrong) a prerequisite for storage of any potato is that the skins need to be set and skins don't set on first & second earlies, hence why we scrape rather than peel them.

Having said that, Hostafan is an experienced gardener who is seldom wrong IMHO.

• Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Thank you for the advice. I'll give it a go - desperately need the space for my leeks!

• Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Apologies for repeating this question - I couldn't find it on my 'Followed Threads' bit. I thought I'd hit the wring button.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

David K, I am humbled.

I find if you leave them in the sun for a couple of hours to really dry, they're fine. maybe I've just been lucky

Devon.