London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
10 messages
08/03/2013 at 18:43

as in last year i have grown lot  of  plants from seed off one type . would like to swap for plants off a differnet type with in your own postcode or with in a 5 miles radius in which we live . hope start a new way  to help start to have  new plants  in there garden  . can  i have your thoughts please

08/03/2013 at 18:50

Hi, Derrick. This is an excellent idea but I would like to see it develop into local gardening clubs. In my area, many have closed down. They are sociable and a great place to learn and share. It strilkes me that maybe they need to cover a slightly wider area than previously in order to be sustainable.

08/03/2013 at 18:58

Lovely idea but we're so widely spaced. There aren't too many people within 5 miles of me and to the best of my knowledge none of them are forum members

08/03/2013 at 19:08

its a great idea  with people having smaller gardens more people can grow a wider range of plants to swap if you get my meaning

Derek

08/03/2013 at 19:12

I must say that some people have sent me rooted cuttings and tiny plants through the post on the seed swap on here. The roots and a little soil can be wrapped in damp kitchen paper then put into a plastic bag. The whole thing put into a fruit punnet thing from the supermarket. Then one was put in a modifted cardboard box and another a jiffy bag. It makes swapping easy with anyone on the forum.

08/03/2013 at 20:14

Think I might start a thread about gardening clubs....

08/03/2013 at 20:25

An excellent idea Gardening Grandma

08/03/2013 at 20:27

It is a good idea like nutcutlet said not too many people on forum near me not in 5 miles bit more further away

You could have a go at the seed swap forum plants or cutting are getting swapped too

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/seed-swap/64712-22.html

08/03/2013 at 21:39

Derrick

You could put the excess plants on local free cycle and hope people reciprocate.

That then limits it it to your area-so a car ride way

09/03/2013 at 11:15

Songeoff

Brilliant idea  if anyone lives near me in portsmouth i would be glad of some plants

I put an add on freecycle portsmouth as I had loads of plant pots and seed trays to dispose of also other household items and they all soon went 

joyce m

email image
10 messages