Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

Hello!

I've decided I'm going to buy my first "proper" greenhouse. I've previously bought the cheap plastic ones which are ok for a few months and then the cat climbs up them to get the last rays of the sun and they degrade pretty quickly.

My budget is as cheap as possible (I couldn't really go above £200). I also have a very small garden and we may be moving house so it needs to be relatively small and easy to take with us. Having said that, I'd ideally like to be able to get inside it and shut a door, but this isn't a necessity. 

I intend to use if for sowing and raising flowers from seed only (I don't do fruit and veg!)

I've seen this one and I was hoping you could all tell me what you think of it

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1395398.htm

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a different product that would suit my needs and budget?

It doesn't have any shelving and once you are inside it there will hardly be room for any. Where are you going to put your plants?

For my money the better bet would be the spacesaver greenhouse on the same page, similar construction but with room for lots of seed trays on the racking. And £50 cheaper! This one looks very like the one from Norfolk Greenhouses, marketed at the same price, though I haven't checked delivery cost. They do lots of cheap and cheerful options.

Hi Busy-Lizzie, thanks for your reply, funnily enough I have that one open in a tab on my browser as it would be my second choice! I could certainly use the space inside the greenhouse but worried it will take up too much garden space (Currently in inner city Victorian housing, if we move it will likely be the same type of house and garden)

Hi Buttercupdays, I had a long look at that one and thought the access to each side could be difficult? I always water my seedlings from bottom up so would be taking the seed trays out quite often. As for shelving, I have plenty of shelves from the degraded plastic greenhouses, I've measured up and I'd be able to fit two of them in this one in an L shape (except that only works if you don't have to have the two lower corner shelves that are in the picture, I've asked if it is possible not to use these in the assembly)

Tootles

Have a look at ebay. That's where I got mine and it was a real bargain. You might be lucky and get a good glass one. The cheaper ones don't tend to move well, once up. A second hand glass one would be my suggestion....if you can find one of course. Good luck with it!

Advertisement

nightgarden

I'd keep an eye on your local newspaper's ad section, sometimes they are advertised as free if you go and remove it for the owner. Its a good time now to look for second hand ones in the papers because its the time of year people buy a new one. Maybe gumtree or freecycle are worth a look too.

B&Q do a small Palram GH for £179.98. 

I've just picked up one for free on one of the local facebook selling sites. Only needed a couple of panes of glass and once all washed, it looks as good as new!!!

gumtree also has some listed for free in my local area. It's well worth a look!

LittleMissSunshine

Hello there, I'm  considering a greenhouse too although I have the space for a decent sized one I was wondering if you need to put them on slabs or if they are ok on soil/grass/weedmat and gravel? Also I was considering a large cold frame for starters before I decide on a greenhouse as I have in the past grown lots of seedlings from a simple small cheap plastic arch with my children. Any advice would be much appreciated. Sorry to opening poster for hi-jacking your thread, although I do think we are considering similar issues.

Busy-Lizzie

A greenhouse does need to be put on a firm base to stop it moving and warping. It also needs to be attached so it doesn't blow away in a gale. Some GH makers do a base frame which you can put onto level earth and cement it at various points, or attach it to concrete pavers. Then you construct the GH on that.

LittleMissSunshine

Thanks Busy-lizzie, thats helpful to know, I feel a bit daunted by it all really if I'm honest, might start with a large cold frame and work my way up while keeping my eyes open for one at a good price, although the ability to work inside the greenhouse is still appealing, do you think it matters if its polycarbonate or horticultural glass? (Have to consider if I need to enlist my local handy person/builder to help if I go the green house route).

Fishy65

Grower68 - I'm a bit like you as I'm getting a greenhouse tomorrow. My previous experience of growing under glass is the window sill so I understand the daunted feeling. I've already got a slab base that I laid some years ago for a large dog kennel and being a bricky in a past life I'll lay two courses of bricks to fix mine and raise the level of the eaves.

However if you see a GH you like, get the steel base too. Sometimes its included in the price. Is there someone who could lay a few concrete slabs for you?

Apologies to Louise for hijacking the thread somewhat.

LittleMissSunshine

Thanks Fishy65, thats a good piece of advice, in short I might be able to find someone to lay the slabs but then it all adds to the cost ... thinking perhaps the large cold frame may be a better option, its still a dilemma as I think maybe the cost of that would go toward a lovely GH... sigh I'm so indecisive. Hope your GH is coming along nicely, can I ask where you got it?

Grower68, to cut the cost you don't need to flag the entire area, I just flagged were the GH frame would stand and down one side, to stand a potting bench on, which doubles up for pots once the growing season kicks off and put a gravel path down the middle. The other side is a soil bed.

You don't need the frame base either although probably better to have, mine is mounted and secured to the flags on treated wood, no doubt this will eventually rot as the one on the allotment has but it takes some years. 

Fishy65

You make a good point Zoomer, its basically the GH frame that needs something sturdy and level underneath it.

Grower - is there anyone in your family that could lay the slabs for you? Don't worry about being indecisive, I trawled the internet looking at all the options until my head was spinning. My GH is an Eden New Acorn 6x8 from Eden Halls Greenhouses. Its a 50th birthday present from my Dad so money wasn't the issue in my case. Well, the bricks and mortar were 

Advertisement

LittleMissSunshine

Thanks Zoomer and Fishy... some of the Gh's have the base included so that's a plus as I dont like the idea of long term maintenance, it was all the beautiful but different photos that confused me about bases as the advice is paves but the photos showed grass, gravel, bare earth... All sorts of scenarios... and not really my eldest could perhaps be persuaded after his exams this summer but that's a bit late, I'll have to get my thinking hat on 

LittleMissSunshine

Right, after much research and costings, I've plumped for this ...

http://www.forestgarden.co.uk/shop_product.asp?category=Planting%20and%20Growing&subcategory=Greenhouses&product=Victorian%20Tall%20Wall%20Greenhouse

On the basis that I would get a fairly good quality treated and guaranteed rot free for 15 years wood, a teeny walk in work area and a few shelves for propagation without having to fork out (pardon the pun) for the suitable base and for putting up a full 6x8 glass house. I think its right for me ... after all I started off a few years ago with  a foot high plastic thing with two shelves and got 50 tomato plants plus, so this will be lots more space and nearer to the house for me to pop out and tend to my little ones while it sits on existing patio which was frankly expensive enough.  Has any one else started with something small?

SchlumpfLouise have you sorted your gh yet?