London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
8 messages
18/11/2012 at 12:38

Just got back from Wyevales and they are selling T&M seeds at 10p a packet. Not a huge selection but I got some early ripening beefsteak tomatoes (Legend - never heard of this variety but I'll look it up) some melon, basil and lettuce. All sow by 2014.

I can't resist a bargain!

18/11/2012 at 12:48
Haven't done my veg seed order yet so will pop into my local wye vale to see if any bargains there. Thanks chilli lover.
18/11/2012 at 13:23

and I thought I had a bargain at 50p a packet!

18/11/2012 at 13:35

I found cheap seeds in the pound shop and they were the best I ever had,out of date or what they all came to something.

18/11/2012 at 21:01

Good for you, can't resist a bargain and if you check you will find some seeds last for a few years. Wilkinsons sell off their seeds so keep an eye open next year. It also gives you a chance to try something different without costing too much.

18/11/2012 at 22:36

If there are children's seed sections at your GC, check them out too, I've found these seeds are often cheaper than the same variety in a grown ups packet of seeds. 

I started to save my own seeds this year, can't get cheaper than that although some seeds are harder to save than others.

19/11/2012 at 13:33

Chili lover, I've tried Legend a few times. The first time, two years ago, I got some enormous specimens, one weighed over a pound!  But in the last two summers, they've not ripened well at all - I think they need quite a bit of heat. I also found that they are not early, in fact they're later than most others (again, it may be that they need more heat than some). They are supposed to be blight resistant, and were OK the first year, but the blight does eventually get to them. They were expensive seeds, so you've not much to  lose by experimenting with your bargain packet.

We're in south Devon, where the summer it tends to be wetter and cooler than in the east. You might get different results where you are.

19/11/2012 at 18:18

Hi Green Magpie

Many thanks for that. I'd given up growing outdoor tomatoes for the last 2 years because of blight and it breaks my heart to have to throw the plants away! I've read up on these and I am definitely going to give them a go. I'm in Hampshire and keeping my fingers crossed for a better summer than the last 2 years we have had!

email image
8 messages