Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Chelsea!

A place to discuss all your likes and dislikes, lets keep it civilimage

I loved loved loved Joe Swift's garden on tonight's preview show and I was especially touched by the garden depicting the divide between north and south Korea as well as the adults with learning difficulties garden, who grew all the plants and were hands on! Well done to them all.image and Chris Beardshaw, you did me proud!

Best of luck for all entries, I wish all could win first prize for efforts alone

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    Wintersong wrote (see)
    ...the garden depicting the divide between north and south Korea...

I thought the Korean garden was highly original and extremely naturalistic . It was my favourite among those we saw last night. Lots of deep thoughtful ideas behind the concept too. I think Titchmarch used the word 'inspirational', or something similar. Though the medals entrants receive depend on technical issues, such as the quality of the plants.

What really struck me was the contrast between the Korean garden and the one which immediately followed, the one by Tom Hoblyn, which was a sanitised lifeless garden - God awful, in my opinion.

I was also struck by Diarmuid Gavin's wacky pyramid skyscraper. Though growing plants vertically doesn't actually increase the amount of light available, because the surfaces of the lower floors are in deep shade. And the building itself casts shade on its neighbours.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the wildlife gardens, which will be featured in Wednesday's evening show. The full TV schedule, of 15 programs is here:
    BBC Chelsea Flower Show Upcoming Episodes

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

I loved Diarmuid's skyscaper garden.. it showed really inspiration for those who live highrise.. and what they can do.. shame it is only the cameras and crew allowd up there. would love a look.

I also didnt think much of Tom Hoblyn garden..he seems to do the same italian style every year..very boring to me. i loved the the wild and free natural look of the Korean garden.. not sure on Joe's one really.. also thought the australian one was very nice too.. but my fav our the small courtyard gardens and wildlife ones.. looking forward also the new catorgory ones this year..some strange and wonderful structures on those little bits shown last night.

I absolutley loved the stand for the one with flowers ffrom Africa who are based in cornwall.. would love some of them..but wouldnt survive here..

It is all very green this year.. as they have suffered same problems as us.. not warm enough for things to flower.

I am gutted that i am not htere this year..first one missed in over 10 years.. but my Step Dad is ill and Mum wouldnt leave him.. as we normally do a stay over and do 2 days worth..

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Tried very hard to watch it this evening but had to turn it off as was getting irritated by it all. Just felt like a big merchandising exercise.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Where are the flowers?
    Concrete wood stone water trees hedges and presenters everywhere but flowers few and far between apart from the Marquee.
    I did spot one lovely pink bloom, it turned out to be Carol, at least she knows what she is talking about.
    I will look at the next few nights coverage then cast my vote.

Frank.

• Hi Frank!  think I might abstain altogether......!  but I did love that Yorkshire garden though - it looked as if it had been there for years & years & years.  Full marks for that from me, but  -  if someone had shown me that bit just as a TV "clip"  -   I'd never have guessed it was from what's called The Chelsea Flower Show.

• Rob StevensRob Stevens Posts: 91
    Liked - the Korean and south African/Cornish efforts and Joe Swift's garden. Loved the clematis. Disliked - Titchmarsh! Wasn't very impressed with the fake grass thingy with the bars.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Hello HCF, I got five green bags of cut down bushes and weeds out of the garden today and moved the creeping buttercup from among the Geums in full flower, Peony and many other flowers in the borders despite the two months of cold rain, cold wind, and just plain cold.
    My garden on a north eastern coast has more colour than Chelsea outside gardens, some clever stuff must admit and yes the Yorkshire garden does look like a local hillside. I always thought of Chelsea as a rainbow of colour, it has all got very dull a bit like our weather. Still we do have Carol to bring a bit of colour in although yesterdays outfit was a bit off putting with those white wellies.

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

@palaisglide.. ha ha yes i thought it ws not the right outfit for her.. but last night (mon) she was much better dressed..looked gorgeous..

I am too wondering where the flowers are..very green and sculptural this year.. i think the weather has played a big part in what they have got to pay with this year.. as they had to start 3 weeks ago planting up..and some of my plants that are normally flowering now are not.

the only colourfulmoment was when the Chelsea Pensioners all gathered on Darmuids tower.. that was impressive site to me.. have had my photo taken with many them over the years.. such lovely people.. and htey really enjoy it.

my fave last night was the iris stand from France.. thou many of those were not in full flower yet.. they had some gorgeous colours i wouldnt mind getting my hands on.

i am recording it all so i can watch and skip witch bits i like.. best way i find to see itimage

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I really love Kazuyuki Ishihara's Satoyama Life  garden. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningpicturegalleries/9279823/Chelsea-Flower-Show-2012-Artisan-gardens.html

So many details like the stones used to edge the paths, the beutiful Acer trees and ferns and those gorgeous green humps of moss? I didn't catch what they were, but if I could have any garden in my back yard, (whatever the weather) I'd be very very happy with something like that!image

• BB50BB50 Posts: 1

I've only just caught up with Sundays preview show, including the item on Joe's garden.  I thought it was amazing.  I've just checked the RHS site and see it has been suitably awarded.  I'd like to send my congratulations to Joe and all of his team.  started on next year's yet?