Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Christmas cooking

Hi all, like to know if any of you have started cooking for Christmas. I have made my Xmas cake in march. Made a lot of holes in it and put a bit of sherry a time.image

Going to make the puddings on Tuesday.image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Yup - I put the sprouts on last week!

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Pete8,hahaha

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Courtesy of the late great Victoria Wood

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

No cooking this year, three Daughters fighting over who feeds me. A bit of a problem as two are good cooks one is definitely up there with Mary Berry. I love being with the Grandchildren so that sorts it.

As a lad the whole family went to my Grand Ma's for Pudding Sunday, it was a great time as puddings and cake mixes were assembled in huge stone bowls. It was then put in pudding bowls and cake tins to cook when we got home, us kids got to clean out the mixing bowls, imagine all those sticky fingers H&S would have a fit. The smell of cooking Christmas cake was wondress to me, loved it then and still do.

Frank

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Hazel,that's good. I enjoy doing the cooking, I can have a few glasses of sherry.image

Palaisglide, perhaps they could take it in turns.image

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Logan, they normally do since their Mum passed away, this year for some reason they all think it their turn. Will toss a coin.

Frank

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

You've been feeding that cake since March? Have you considered how much of a fire hazard that must be by now?? I hope you warn people not to drive if they have a slice. image

I've not made anything yet; I need to make cake, stollen, and if I can face the guilt trip from grandma mince pies. 

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I bet your cake will be yummy.

i made a trial run of mince pies today.  So much nicer than bought ones. 

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i have the xmas pudding that i made for last years christmas but will feed it more alchohol soon, 

I made a load of puff pastry the night before (friday)

I had a kilner jar filled with mixed fruit and alchohol from last xmas (smelt amazing) so yesterday i made mince pies from it & what was left over i added crushed nuts and made danish pastries 

I also made the sausage rolls & made and mostly cooked off the sausagemeat wrapped n blankets

All of it is in the freezer now