Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Christmas decorations

Hi all, can anyone tell me why do people put up the Christmas decorations at the beginning of December.?image

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Or even before the end of November!!

SW Scotland
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Sunday 27th November was Advent Sunday.  Therefore, the coming of Christmas has already started.  We lit our first Advent candle on Sunday, and will then light the second next Sunday and so on  up until the fourth Sunday of Advent, this year on 18th December.  It's very early this year because Christmas Day falls on a Sunday.  But we wont put our main decorations up until Mid-December.

• When we were children, before all the hype and commercialization came along we put our decorations up the weekend before Christmas, usually around the 18th or so (December), now everything starts so early, the shops, the adverts, the music, but I try to hold out until at least two weeks before. Yes Shrinking Violet, advent is early this year as our church has already had their first service.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I always put my outside Christmas tree up in the first weekend in December because I so love my tree. Love the fact it's all lit when i come home in the dark. love ❤️ it!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • The house over the road has had multi-coloured flashing Christmas lights going for the past 2 weeks. The street lamps have recently been replaced, the combination of the brighter new street lamp and the neighbours lights flashing makes it look like an alien craft has landed outsideimage

I will be putting my tree up no earlier than two weeks before and probably closer to the day. I don't decorate much else apart from hanging the cards.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Pansy I love your local tradition of local carols.  Here in the West country, there are many local carols, too, but the main focus is on "Old" Christmas: 6th January:  Wassail (Christmas with pagan overtones - but good fun, nevertheless).  Songs for a good apple harvest, toast dipped in cider to placate the spirits of the apple tree, and firing of shotguns (or a large noise of drums) to drive out those evil spirits!  Oh, and copious amounts of mulled cider all round.image

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I live down a dark lane - only house, so not many people see my tree but it cheers me up immensely. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • We're a twelve days before kinda family! However I have just decorated a large glass vase with pine ones and some antlers I found in our shed when we moved into the house and adorned it with sparkly fairy lights and I shall be making our front door wreath over the next week with my daughter oh and we have made our advent wreath that's sitting on the piano.... But apart from all that the main decoding will be waiting until the 12th! image.  When we pick my OH from the station we now count the houses that have their lights up - my daughter (she's 8) loves it! 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,476

I will be taking earplugs with me when I go shopping. If I hear #Santa roasting on an open fire# again this year, I'll screamimage. I don't give a rat's about the little boy that Santa Claus forgot. And no they don't know it's Christmas.

My tree goes up the weekend before Christmas and comes down 2nd January

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • With all the woes of the world it's lovely to see and hear cheerful things........mine are going up this coming week end. x