London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
4 messages
16/03/2013 at 15:52

Just read this. I love the idea of community gardening but I don't think James Wong's suggestions are going to get many people excited to be involved!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/21754496

16/03/2013 at 15:57

Not too enticing! Grow your own tree-bark for cooking?

I love the idea of community gardening, too. It needn't be confined to vegetables, either - there are plenty of grass verges and semi-derelict or neglected areas that could be beautified, adding to the amenities of an area and lifting people's spirits, as well as helping gardeners to develop their skills. B and Q used to have a scheme with cut-price plants to encourage this, but I don't know if it still exists.

16/03/2013 at 16:49

I believe that these things are great if you have some lovely semi retired person with plenty of time, expertise and resources. You do always need a leader then others will follow, the idea that they will spring up spontaneously always makes me laugh.

17/03/2013 at 16:42

You are absolutely right there, joslaw. Someone has to start it, in the same way as all organisations start with one or two enthusiastic people. There's a community garden in a nearby town to us which is now really interesting and positive. I guess it takes courage to be the one to start it, because one might be rejected and get no takers. Also, I suppose, one needs contacts and a bit of understanding of administration, because I don't suppose one can just pick a verge and start working on it! 

email image
4 messages