London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
6 messages
10/05/2014 at 17:01

I am seeing more and more in garden centres peat free compost can anyone tell me if they have had any success with this compost  I am wanting to try it but I don't want to get it and  spend time sowing seeds if the seeds wont germinate .

10/05/2014 at 17:18

I have used RSPB peat free multipurpose compost for 2 years now, which is made by Vital Earth. I have found it to be great with germinating seeds (in fact I now have too many seedlings ) and use it for all my pots. The only thing I will say is that it drys out quickly at the top and you think you need to get watering right away, but beneath this it is lovely and damp, so be careful not to over water.

I haven't tried any others though.

10/05/2014 at 17:22

Thanks Meerkat where would I get that make of compost as I don't recognise the name

10/05/2014 at 17:31

If you go to this site http://thegreenergardener.com/products/rspb-mpc.html

you can click on the search stockists and you can pop your location in. I get mine from The Range, which is luckily nearby. It should be easy to get hold of.

I'd try one bag and see if you like it, but I would recommend it.

10/05/2014 at 18:21
I've used New Horizon for a few years and it has given great results for growing tomatoes and summer bedding in pots. The only problem seems to be that it attracts tiny flies in the greenhouse, possibly fungus gnats, but a liberal use of fly paper seems to keep them in check. For this reason I don't use it for seed sowing because I don't want larvae nibbling the roots.
10/05/2014 at 19:14

I have used my own home made compost (sorry - am passionate about people making their own compost ) mixed with sharp sand and it is brilliant for growing everything. Of course there is no peat in it!

email image
6 messages