Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

I have built a couple of large compost heaps with old pallets and now have a redundant black dalek. It occurred to me that I could put in all the leaves when they drop. Will they compost down or do they need light and air too?  Expert advice needed please!

Dovefromabove

They'll be fine in there - good idea - they'll take their time - leaves always do - a bit of recycled beer or cider will help and a good stir occasionally 

Ooh thanks for that! I had planned to leave it for at least a year and my OH is really good at recycling beer, wine, tea & coffee...

Dovefromabove

They need to keep practising apparently 

We bag ours in bin bags - usually 8 to a dozen as we have two big ash trees.  We punch a few holes in the bags and stack them in a corner for the winter, then during the summer, when we're putting lots of layers of greenstuff in the compost bins we haul out a bag of leaves every so often and add them - seems to work ok 

Matty2

I bought a dalek last year and -my mistake - it was not as big as my others so I put it in a redundant part of garden and filled it with the leaves. As leaf composters usually are open I left the lid off so the 'weather' could get to it. They seem to be coming along very nicely

Problem is what do I do with this years 'harvest'

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

That's why once they've started to rot down, the following summer we incorporate them with our compost which heats up nicely and they speed up a bit  Last autumn's leaves are in the compost which will be spread on the veg patch this autumn/next spring.