Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Confession..

So... I've been practicing 'no dig' now for three years.. it's gone great, healthy plants and very little weeding.  So last night I was out there trying to get some crab grass out that's made it's way up along the inside edge of my raised bed.  Obviously I have to dig the roots out to really get it gone, so there I am with my trowel digging away... and I just couldn't stop.  I fluffed up the soil, mixed all the layers within reach.. and plan to go over the entire bed with a fork tonight!  I've got no need to do it, I still believe in 'no dig'.. but I have a driving desire to DIG IT ALL OVER and make it look how a veg garden is supposed to look prior to planting.  (Maybe too much time watching gardening programs on the telly?)  

And while I'm at it.. I've got another confession.. a few days ago I potted on a few cucumbers and squash, without first washing out last years soil from the pot!  image  I'm on my way to hell in a hand-basket now.  

Utah, USA.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Have to admit that I never wash out pots or seed trays.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

Heh.. you've made me feel better already.

Utah, USA.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

I love digging! Especially where last years 'thrown seedlings' are yet to be seenimage

Not cleaned the GH yet either imagebut have cleared a space in front of it image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I dont dig but OH had a go at the bean trench.

I dont wash pots either and only wash the greenhouse when the green stops the light getting in, I am always much to busy to get round to those jobs, 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I assiduously clean all of my pots, seed trays and greenhouse every spring with a very small nail brush.

I also tell fibs! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    I think about washing pots out...... But not very good when it actually comes to doing it! image
  • Does anyone clean their pots out when you have hundreds like I found in my shed and they are all dirty, I might sit down in the summer and clean them but i probably wont!! image

• I always clean my pots I wait for a pile of them and do them all  together. my dad is the same, and he used to pay me a half pence each for doing them!

I am very tidy, I get it from him. I cant help it.

and I like the smell of jeyes fluid.

sorry.

• Claire Goulding, Do you want to do mine I have loads to do! I have a massive box full to clean!!